Copyright/DVD encryuption/proection work around no longer working?

HandBrake for Windows support
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
Varius

Copyright/DVD encryuption/proection work around no longer working?

Post by Varius »

Ive been using Handbrake for over a year, ripped dozens of DVDs all were protected however recently bought a new pc. I installed the libdvdcss-.dll fil into the folder which had worked in the passed but now I get "No Valid Source or Titles Found". I have serached this forum and found no solution and all google yields in "download this dvd ripper instead".
Dibrom

Re: Copyright/DVD encryuption/proection work around no longer working?

Post by Dibrom »

I have never come across a DVD that DVD Decrypter hasn't been able to handle. Given that it just works on everything and that DVD copy-protection is no longer being further developed or extended to fight the pirating arms race, I don'treally see the problem. There's a solution that works. It will continue to work forevermore. Why fight it?
mduell
Veteran User

Post by mduell »

That third party addon hasn't been supported for more than a decade, and is known to fail with a variety of films.

Rip with something intended for ripping commercial disks, like MakeMKV.
Varius

Post by Varius »

Dibrom wrote: Fri Sep 03, 2021 2:46 am I have never come across a DVD that DVD Decrypter hasn't been able to handle. Given that it just works on everything and that DVD copy-protection is no longer being further developed or extended to fight the pirating arms race, I don'treally see the problem. There's a solution that works. It will continue to work forevermore. Why fight it?
Well Its not working now Man. I even tried to rip DVDs Ive already ripped and I get that 'no source found'. I figured a way around this was to have the film playing on vlc in the background while I rip it HOWEVER the libdvdcss-.dll no longer removes the dvd protection. I ripped about 30 dvds in the last 6 months with no issue. Am I copy pasting the file into the wrong folder?
Varius

Post by Varius »

mduell wrote: Fri Sep 03, 2021 3:25 am That third party addon hasn't been supported for more than a decade, and is known to fail with a variety of films.
It worked 3 weeks ago when I ripped a DVD ousing handbrake with the libdvdcss-.dll work around on my old computer. Its been working for me last 6-12 months on any DVD. I tried using it again on a DVD ive alrready ripped and it didnt remove the protection.
Woodstock
Veteran User

Post by Woodstock »

The DLL you are using to force this issue DOES work "mostly", if you have the correct version that matches handbrake. libdvdcss.dll is the name of the 32-bit version of the DLL. Handbrake is no longer a 32-bit program.

"Mostly" is a key phrase - that library only removes the CSS encryption from a disk, and not any of the other forms of copy protect on modern DVDs.

There are other ways it can break, as well, such as applying an operating system update.

You are free to continue to try making it work, but you're on your own, and have been since 2009 when handbrake crew stopped fighting to supporting it.
Varius

Post by Varius »

Woodstock wrote: Sat Sep 04, 2021 4:03 am The DLL you are using to force this issue DOES work "mostly", if you have the correct version that matches handbrake. libdvdcss.dll is the name of the 32-bit version of the DLL. Handbrake is no longer a 32-bit program.
Why is to difficult to just download and install a program then use said program for whats its intended purpose and not have it [Censored] out based on some small nuace issue problem. 6 months ago I installed Handbrake, put the DLL thing into the folder and it worked. Now it doesnt. What good is this program if it cant rip DVDs? Thats whats its made for?
Woodstock
Veteran User

Post by Woodstock »

From the [url=https://handbrake.fr/docs/en/1.3.0/intr ... about.html]handbrake documentation "about" page{/url]:
HandBrake also does not defeat or circumvent copy protection of any kind. It does not work with video files employing Digital Rights Management (DRM). This includes but is not limited to, copy protected content from iTunes, Amazon Video, Netflix, or other online providers, and many commercial DVD and Blu-ray discs.

Applications such as AnyDVD HD for Windows and MakeMKV for Linux, Mac, and Windows can create copies of DVD and Blu-ray discs that HandBrake can open, reducing wear on the original discs and often fixing errors due to poorly mastered or otherwise broken discs.
Your question can be rephrased to, "What good is it if it doesn't do what it says it doesn't do?" I cannot answer that question for you.

As I said, you can install a third-party DLL to force it to do what you want it to do, but you're doing so only with the support of whoever it was that told you you could do it. If it doesn't work, ask THEM why.
mduell
Veteran User

Post by mduell »

Varius wrote: Sat Sep 04, 2021 8:22 amWhy is to difficult to just download and install a program then use said program for whats its intended purpose and not have it [Censored] out based on some small nuace issue problem. 6 months ago I installed Handbrake, put the DLL thing into the folder and it worked. Now it doesnt. What good is this program if it cant rip DVDs? Thats whats its made for?
Handbrake is not intended for ripping commercial DVDs. Plenty of other tools for doing that, like MakeMKV. Handbrake is for video transcoding for a variety of reasons, and can take those rips from MakeMKV and similar.
Varius

Post by Varius »

mduell wrote: Sat Sep 04, 2021 11:08 pm
Varius wrote: Sat Sep 04, 2021 8:22 amWhy is to difficult to just download and install a program then use said program for whats its intended purpose and not have it [Censored] out based on some small nuace issue problem. 6 months ago I installed Handbrake, put the DLL thing into the folder and it worked. Now it doesnt. What good is this program if it cant rip DVDs? Thats whats its made for?
Handbrake is not intended for ripping commercial DVDs. Plenty of other tools for doing that, like MakeMKV. Handbrake is for video transcoding for a variety of reasons, and can take those rips from MakeMKV and similar.
So how did I manage to rip 30+ DVDs all with copyright prottection on them?
Varius

Post by Varius »

Woodstock wrote: Sat Sep 04, 2021 4:03 am The DLL you are using to force this issue DOES work "mostly", if you have the correct version that matches handbrake. libdvdcss.dll is the name of the 32-bit version of the DLL. Handbrake is no longer a 32-bit program.
So I just install the non 32-bit version? Even though Im pretty suire thats what ive already got.
rollin_eng
Veteran User

Post by rollin_eng »

Varius wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 5:51 am
Luck :)
Dibrom

Post by Dibrom »

Werd. Handbrake is no more a DVD ripper than AutoGK was before it, or XMedia Recode is. I've never even considered trying to use it to rip a DVD. In fact I wouldn't even know where to start trying to do that. If indeed it can do that, then it must be a very dodgy add-on bit of functionality for convenience sake only. I can't imagine anyone seriously considering that a primary function of the program.

Code: Select all

https://www.videohelp.com/software/HandBrake
mduell
Veteran User

Post by mduell »

With unsupported third party hacks that are unreliable and increasingly difficult to use?
Varius

Post by Varius »

Dibrom wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 9:49 am Werd. Handbrake is no more a DVD ripper than AutoGK was before it, or XMedia Recode is. I've never even considered trying to use it to rip a DVD. In fact I wouldn't even know where to start trying to do that. If indeed it can do that, then it must be a very dodgy add-on bit of functionality for convenience sake only. I can't imagine anyone seriously considering that a primary function of the program.

Code: Select all

https://www.videohelp.com/software/HandBrake
Has there been some kind of Mandella effect? If you google "best free DVD ripping software" you get Handbrake. And ftr all you do is simply put the disc in the drive, the software reads it, you put in the que and away iyt goes. It even disgtinguishes between say the Movie itself and any special features like trailers, documentaries on the dics too. I didnt imagine this, I uploaded the files are onto my youtube and [Censored] account.
Varius

Post by Varius »

mduell wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 12:39 pm
With unsupported third party hacks that are unreliable and increasingly difficult to use?
I copy pasrted that libstart.dll thing into the folder like it says. Worked fine until a week ago.
rollin_eng
Veteran User

Post by rollin_eng »

https://handbrake.fr/docs/en/latest/int ... about.html

HB is not a ripper. It's a video encoder.
Dibrom

Post by Dibrom »

Varius wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 6:51 am Has there been some kind of Mandella effect? If you google "best free DVD ripping software" you get Handbrake
Oh well if Google says it is, then it must be true. End of argument. :?
Woodstock
Veteran User

Post by Woodstock »

You have to remember how Google works. This statement will be found by "best free DVD ripping software":
Handbrake is among the best free software to compress video used on DVDs, Blu-ray, and even UHD Blu-ray, but it is not intended to be used for ripping that video directly from commercial optical disks. Actual ripping is best left to specialized programs.
Dibrom

Post by Dibrom »

Woodstock wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 12:50 pm You have to remember how Google works. This statement will be found by "best free DVD ripping software":
Handbrake is among the best free software to compress video used on DVDs, Blu-ray, and even UHD Blu-ray, but it is not intended to be used for ripping that video directly from commercial optical disks. Actual ripping is best left to specialized programs.
Exactly. If you google "Is the world flat?" you will get a million hits from conspiracy theorists on YouTube confirming to you that the world is indeed flat. Google gives you back exactly what you ask of it. It isn't some omnipitant overlord able to read your mind and intelligently answer all your questions like a sentient being. You the user has to have some skerrick of intelligence and capacity for critial thought yourself as well. Unfortunately too many these days have lost that skill and just blindly trust in Google for everything, hence people who drive into ponds and lakes because Google Maps told them to, and people who believe Handbrake is a DVD ripper when it's clearly not.
Varius

Post by Varius »

Dibrom wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 9:20 am
Varius wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 6:51 am Has there been some kind of Mandella effect? If you google "best free DVD ripping software" you get Handbrake
Oh well if Google says it is, then it must be true. End of argument. :?
Yeah I know but when the results unanimously all say Handbrake is a dvd ripper then its safe to assume it is or has the capability. Like I keep saying, I ripped almost 30 DVDs using it.
Varius

Post by Varius »

Dibrom wrote: Sat Sep 11, 2021 12:45 am
Woodstock wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 12:50 pm You have to remember how Google works. This statement will be found by "best free DVD ripping software":
Exactly. If you google "Is the world flat?" you will get a million hits from conspiracy theorists on YouTube confirming to you that the world is indeed flat. Google gives you back exactly what you ask of it. It isn't some omnipitant overlord able to read your mind and intelligently answer all your questions like a sentient being. You the user has to have some skerrick of intelligence and capacity for critial thought yourself as well. Unfortunately too many these days have lost that skill and just blindly trust in Google for everything, hence people who drive into ponds and lakes because Google Maps told them to, and people who believe Handbrake is a DVD ripper when it's clearly not.
So how did I manage to rip DVDs with it?
Dibrom

Post by Dibrom »

Varius wrote: Sat Sep 11, 2021 3:39 am Yeah I know but when the results unanimously all say Handbrake is a dvd ripper then its safe to assume…
No it's not safe. You're really struggling with this concept aren't you? Either that or you're trolling.
Would you drive your car into a lake because Google Maps told you to? It's exactly the same logic you're using.
When I type "Is the world flat?" into Google, guess what happens? I get millions of results back which unanimously all say the world is flat. By your logic, it's therefore safe to assume that the world is indeed flat.

Just tell us one thing in response. Do you believe the world is flat because Google says so? Your answer will determine whether this discussion is over.
Dibrom

Post by Dibrom »

Varius wrote: Sat Sep 11, 2021 3:40 am So how did I manage to rip DVDs with it?
Already asked and answered by multiple intelligent people.
s55
HandBrake Team

Post by s55 »

If you want to use libdvdcss, you have to support this yourself. We formally dropped support for it over a decade ago and stopped including it in HandBrake. While code still exists in a 3rd party library we use for reading dvd's (libdvdread) to load a dll file, it'll require the 64bit dll and likely one that was compiled with MinGW. Thus, there is a good chance many downloads of it simply won't work.

HandBrake (also libdvdcss) does not support fixing & recovery of mastering errors or any kind of structural copy protections which inflict many discs. Even home-made recordings.

As such, if you want to process a disc, it's much better to let MakeMKV deal with all the nonsense that might be on the disc and produce a clean file that HandBrake can process.

There is an absolute metric ton of bad information about HandBrake out there. Some of it is historical, some of it is just flat out wrong so just be wary of what you read.