Handbrake Won't Start After Installing .NET 5 Desktop Runtime

HandBrake for Windows support
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
chupacabra

Handbrake Won't Start After Installing .NET 5 Desktop Runtime

Post by chupacabra »

Description of problem or question:
After finally downloading the correct Desktop Runtime download for .NET 5.0.9, uninstalling Handbrake, reinstalling 1.4.1, restarting computer, launching Handbrake does nothing. The app never opens. Before this, I was getting the error to download .NET 5 when I launched. But since, no error - no nothing.

Steps to reproduce the problem (If Applicable):
I have uninstalled and reinstalled multiple times, but the app never opens.

HandBrake version (e.g., 1.0.0):

Operating system and version (e.g., Ubuntu 16.04 LTS, macOS 10.13 High Sierra, Windows 10 Creators Update):
Windows 10 64 bit

HandBrake Activity Log ***required*** (see How-to get an activity log)
There is no activity log. In the users/app data/roaming/handbrake directory, there is only a file called settings.json. That's it. Not logs folder or files.

Code: Select all

Please replace this text with the contents of your log file between the two code tags - OR -  provide a pastebin URL in place of these 3 lines.
If you are unable to do so, please state why so we can help you.
chupacabra

Re: Handbrake Won't Start After Installing .NET 5 Desktop Runtime

Post by chupacabra »

To add an update: I uninstalled Handbrake and the Desktop .NET 5.0.9 and restarted my computer. Then tried to reinstall Handbrake to see if it would prompt me to install .NET again, but Handbrake still won't open. It's dead in the water for some reason. I can't even get it to uninstall properly (it leaves the app data and program files folders intact).
s55
HandBrake Team

Post by s55 »

Does it launch if you reboot windows in Safe Mode?
chupacabra

Post by chupacabra »

Unfortunately, after trying twice, I'm unable to boot up in Safe Mode. It's a work computer and possibly IT has that function blocked, as the PC will not restart at all when opting for a troubleshooting restart.
rollin_eng
Veteran User

Post by rollin_eng »

Do you have any security software running that might be blocking it?
s55
HandBrake Team

Post by s55 »

Download a portable version of HandBrake from the site.

Rename portable.ini.template to portable.ini

Open it and set: hardware.enabled = false

See if that helps.
chupacabra

Post by chupacabra »

s55 wrote: Tue Aug 24, 2021 7:54 pm Download a portable version of HandBrake from the site.

Rename portable.ini.template to portable.ini

Open it and set: hardware.enabled = false

See if that helps.
I did that and then clicked HandBrake.exe to launch and still nothing (a folder called Storage was created in the directory with only that settings.json file being added).

I then renamed that ini file back to its original name, but still nothing.
chupacabra

Post by chupacabra »

rollin_eng wrote: Tue Aug 24, 2021 7:20 pm Do you have any security software running that might be blocking it?
No idea. It's a company computer so there's all kinds of security on it, but I literally only had this issue 2 days ago. Before that, it worked fine.
rollin_eng
Veteran User

Post by rollin_eng »

Might be worth asking your work IT if there is something that might cause it to not run.
chupacabra

Post by chupacabra »

rollin_eng wrote: Wed Aug 25, 2021 4:36 pm Might be worth asking your work IT if there is something that might cause it to not run.
Because it's a third party app, they won't really help troubleshoot. A co-worker also has issues getting it to work. But I don't even know where to start in figuring out what kind of thing might be causing it not to open at all, and why it just started happening after using it fine for years.
rollin_eng
Veteran User

Post by rollin_eng »

I would frame it as “if THEIR software is blocking it they should be able to at least tell you what THEIR software is doing “
Netsky

Post by Netsky »

Hi,

I post here because i think it's related.
I came from 1.33 Windows version and tried to install 1.40 (then 1.41). The app asked me to install .NET 5 version to continue.
I did it and tried to launch last Handbrake version again, but no luck the app asked me the same thing.
I uninstalled Handbrake then .NET 5, reinstalled them : Same issue.

Any idea ?
Thanks
Netsky

Post by Netsky »

Nevermind, i finally delete old folder manually, reinstalled everything and it's finaly working.

Thanks for this great last version, my 3900X is happy to be able to use all threads now :)
CodySydney

Post by CodySydney »

I have the same problem. Handbrake isn't creating an activity log. It is running fine on my laptop, but not desktop; no special security software on either, no special config etc. On the desktop, Handbrake doesn't seem to recognise .NET 5.0.9 as valid.
CodySydney

Post by CodySydney »

further to this - confirmed, it's failing with .NET 5.0.9 but works with every prior version. I installed 5.0.1, .5, .8 and in each case had no issue; then upgraded that to 5.0.9 and handbrake failed to open. Downgraded back to 5.0.8 and it worked. It's reproducable for me.
chupacabra

Post by chupacabra »

So apparently our IT department permanently banned Handbrake because it can contain malware and/or viruses, which is why it no longer opens. Not really sure how to argue to them about that.
rollin_eng
Veteran User

Post by rollin_eng »

If downloaded from the official site it should be fine, if it’s downloaded from elsewhere you might have issues.

If this is needed for your job Handbrake is very well known. If this is not needed for your job then you might have problems persuading them to run it.
Deleted User 11865

Post by Deleted User 11865 »

rollin_eng wrote: Tue Aug 31, 2021 5:25 pm If downloaded from the official site it should be fine, if it’s downloaded from elsewhere you might have issues.
FWIW, we did get our official download compromised by malware once in the past (though, ironically, only under macOS, not Windows).

We did get rid of the vector by which our downloads got compromised and made several improvements to our backend security; also, our macOS release builds are now signed and sandboxed (I think our Windows builds are signed as well, but not 100% sure).
s55
HandBrake Team

Post by s55 »

Just for some clarity:

- Windows builds have been digitally signed for some time now going back a few releases (years).
- macOS builds are signed as well.
- In-app updates have been signed for a long time also.

Digitally signed downloads doesn't protect against bad downloads as the bad buys can sign our code too given it's open source.
For that, we also:

- Provide GPG signatures with the public key provided on both the website and github (2 separate sources) (Back-dated to historical builds as well that are still available on the old downloads page)

- We use the GitHub provided services now for all downloads and have enforced 2-factor authentication on all accounts that have access to upload releases to dramatically reduce the risk of a compromise on our end. Github could still be hacked but they at least monitor their platform 24/7

Either way, a good guide to safely downloading is here: https://handbrake.fr/docs/en/latest/get ... stall.html

Does that guarantee a safe download? No. It's safer for everyone to assume that it's a matter of "when" something bad will happen, not "if"
ukbirdflu

Post by ukbirdflu »

Thanks to CodySydney , I reinstall .net 5.0.8 and the new Handbrake 1.4.1 loaded with no .net message.
mtraversino
New User

Post by mtraversino »

On the Microsoft.com website (https://dotnet.microsoft.com/download/d ... m=referral) There are two types of >NET 5 Runtime Libraries 1)Run console apps 2) Run desktop apps. If you install the Run console apps .NET Runtime then Handbrake will continue to get the runtime error during launch. Install the Run desktop apps .NET Runtime then everything works fine.
CTMechE
New User

Post by CTMechE »

For anyone else finding this thread, installing the Desktop apps vs. Console apps worked for me as mtraversino stated.

Personal PC, Win10 x64. Handbrake was working fine until I updated to v1.4.1 when it gave me the .net error.
caparuni

Post by caparuni »

mtraversino wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 8:23 pm On the Microsoft.com website (https://dotnet.microsoft.com/download/d ... m=referral) There are two types of >NET 5 Runtime Libraries 1)Run console apps 2) Run desktop apps. If you install the Run console apps .NET Runtime then Handbrake will continue to get the runtime error during launch. Install the Run desktop apps .NET Runtime then everything works fine.

thank you very very very much
loninappleton

Post by loninappleton »

My attempted install stalls and looks for something it cannot find. I have Net framework 5.10 installed successfully and I did all the other procedures of deleting uses/username/app/roaming etc. I did a complete uninstall with Revo to clean everything out.

What is said above looks more advanced than the usual good install I'd get with Hb 1.33.

I believe I selected the run desktop. But is there an option in Net Framework to run the offline? I thought I had seen that as an option.