What filters remain 8 bit in 1.40?

HandBrake for Windows support
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
WIHanddoc

What filters remain 8 bit in 1.40?

Post by WIHanddoc »

Description of problem or question:
What filters can be safely used to preserve 10 or 12 bit processing in version 1.40? Is the NLMeans filter 10 bit? Is there progress towards making all the filters 10 bit?

Sorry if this is documented somewhere already, but I couldn't find it in the documentation anywhere.

Steps to reproduce the problem (If Applicable):

HandBrake version (e.g., 1.0.0):

Operating system and version (e.g., Ubuntu 16.04 LTS, macOS 10.13 High Sierra, Windows 10 Creators Update):

HandBrake Activity Log ***required*** (see How-to get an activity log)

Code: Select all

Please replace this text with the contents of your log file between the two code tags - OR -  provide a pastebin URL in place of these 3 lines.
If you are unable to do so, please state why so we can help you.
WIHanddoc

Re: What filters remain 8 bit in 1.40?

Post by WIHanddoc »

Is there work ongoing to convert any filters to 10 bit?
rollin_eng
Veteran User

Post by rollin_eng »

WIHanddoc

Post by WIHanddoc »

Can anyone give me an idea if converting the filters to 10-bit is a major undertaking that will be a long time coming or a simpler task? Would it be likely to arrive in a 1.50 release or a 2.00 release? I'm mostly interested in the NLMEANS filter as I have found that gives the best results for dealing with noise. I have been working on converting 4K blu-ray rips to versions to play on my iPad Pro for trips, and am getting really nice results on the newer HDR films that don't have significant noise to deal with. Not looking for a definite time commitment but just a general idea of what will be necessary to convert some of these now that the groundwork for 10-bit HDR has been laid with the 1.4 release.
s55
HandBrake Team

Post by s55 »

It's not actively being worked on. Size of tasks generally isn't the issue. It's developer time / interest.

So, it could happen tomorrow, or it might never happen. That's the nature of open-source. This is a hobby project.