NOTICE: Read me if you get Graphical Corruption in the UI

HandBrake for Windows support
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
HandBrake

NOTICE: Read me if you get Graphical Corruption in the UI

Post by HandBrake »

Please be aware, that if you find parts of the UI appear corrupted, this is caused by a 3rd party component that is installed and hooking into your system in a bad way.

There is a Windows Service called "Nahimic" which may come as part of "ASUS ROG Phoebus Sonic Suite" that is causing this problem. Other applications may use this component also but at the time of writing we are not aware of any more.

In order to work around this, there are a couple of options:

a) Shutdown any applications that are currently using the service. Note, you may also need to stop the service in Windows Services and set it to manual so it doesn't start when Windows starts. (services.msc)

b) Uninstall this application. Note, the issue appears to be with the optional 3rd party software included with some hardware, not the actual drivers themselves.

Note, this problem is not with HandBrake and is not something we can fix. It affects many applications that use the same platform runtime that we do. Please report the issue to your hardware manufacturer.
LewJo77

Re: NOTICE: Read me if you get Graphical Corruption in the UI

Post by LewJo77 »

I just want to point out, I have Sonic Studio for my Asus Strix Raid DLX sound card that was causing HB 1.4 GUI issues.
I close the Sonic Studio app from the task tray, open HB and as long as HB is open, i can run Sonic Studio again, and not have GUI issues as long as i dont close and re-open HB again.
No need to uninstall sonic studio app. :)
dts

Post by dts »

removing nahimic fixed my issue. btw i notice little delay when opening handbrake unlike previous version. it's no big deal though
-Vaako-

Post by -Vaako- »

I also like to tell that Sonic Studio did not give me any issues when I was using HB 1.3
Only when I installed HB 1.4 I experienced the UI issues and when I downgraded to HB 1.3 the UI issues still exist.
BTW: I have no service running called "Nahimic".
However as already stated by user LewJo77 you can stop Sonic Studio and start HB and the start Sonic Studio (nhAsusStrixUILauncher.exe) and all work fine again.
My soundcard is a ASUS Strix RAID Pro
So this brings the conclusion that there are some UI issues from HV 1.4 and up that cause these issues or am I mistaken ?
s55
HandBrake Team

Post by s55 »

Yup, as far as we are aware, this only affects apps using .NET Core (which means HandBrake 1.4 and later).

It may be that Sonic has the library embedded or they are simply doing the same thing as it.
mduell
Veteran User

Post by mduell »

-Vaako- wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 7:54 pmBTW: I have no service running called "Nahimic".
However as already stated by user LewJo77 you can stop Sonic Studio and start HB and the start Sonic Studio (nhAsusStrixUILauncher.exe) and all work fine again.
I'll give you two guesses what the nh in nhAsusStrixUILauncher are for.
troublecluster
New User

Post by troublecluster »

Just to add to this thread, Nahimic is also being used by Dell/Alienware for the their audio subsystem in Windows 10 on some of their current generation of laptops.

That said, I have HB GUI artifacts both on one of the new Dell G15 Ryzen laptops (it has the same motherboard and h/w as the Alienware M15) and also on an older Alienware 13R3. The latter does not have any Nahimic service running however so there may be another service running which is triggering the same issue.

While I appreciate and understand the position the Handbrake team is taking on this as it may be a smaller sampling of users impacted and out of their direct control, it would be good to see if we can compile some additional workarounds (other services to disable which might be triggering the same issue).

I highly doubt we would get much traction if any from the likes of Dell to fix the issue on their end. So far I have only seen this appear in the recent builds of Handbrake on these two machines and not with any other software I use in Windows 10. From a support standpoint they [Dell] will likely place the blame on HB.
troublecluster
New User

Post by troublecluster »

Quick update: after turning off and on some AW/Dell services on my AW13R3, I found that the "AWHeadset service" is the suspect. I have an AW USB headset attached to that machine currently.
jazim

Post by jazim »

I recently upgraded the internals of my machine, everything except the video card which is an Nvidia 1080 Ti. I've never had problems with the video card before, but it was the first thing I suspected might be the problem. I cloned my harddrive to a new larger drive and simply booted the machine, with Windows adjusting automatically to the new mb, cpu, ram and hdds.

The issue now is that I see weird graphical corruption or glitching, but only in some applications and only on some gui elements. The applications it occurs in are consistent (I.e. I can restart them and the corruption happens in the same locations).

I don't think this is directly the video driver (I'm using latest nvidia 471.11) as it doesn't appear to be the whole screen. Just certain elements.
Sometimes it's a text element, which means lines of text or words of text disappear.
I've run tests on the ram and gpu and all tests turn up 100% healthy, so it seems like maybe this is a software issue?Although if it is, it's almost like it's windows gdi or something. In fact, it almost looks like apps that use some form of Windows WPF framework?
Any ideas on how to troubleshoot or fix this one? (I'm a developer, so can do advanced actions if required)
Yatajlevsky
New User

Post by Yatajlevsky »

After some research about the same UI glitch I landed here.
I've an ASUS MB and "Sonic Suite 2" is the source.
The solution described by "LewJo77" works for me too.

Later I found this: https://github.com/HandBrake/HandBrake/ ... -892906336
The trick works for me without stopping "Sonic Suite 2".

Set the arguments: "--force-software-rendering" at a shortcut pointing to HB. (F:\...\HandBrake.exe "--force-software-rendering")

Code: Select all

"--force-software-rendering"
Not sure what this could imply for handbrake encoding level, nothing I think/hope. If it helps anyone other than me ;)