NOTICE: .NET 6 Desktop Runtime Download Error ** PLEASE READ **

HandBrake for Windows support
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
HandBrake

NOTICE: .NET 6 Desktop Runtime Download Error ** PLEASE READ **

Post by HandBrake »

[Removed]

Please see new thread: viewtopic.php?t=42066
Grosvenor

Re: NOTICE: .NET 5 Desktop Runtime Download Error ** PLEASE READ **

Post by Grosvenor »

How can I find which is the correct version of runtime to download. :?
rollin_eng
Veteran User

Post by rollin_eng »

Follow the link then look at the picture above.
Grosvenor

Post by Grosvenor »

Thanks for that when I wrote the question I couldn't see the picture. All is now resolved.
Jovonski
New User

Post by Jovonski »

The link for tthe .Net runtime loads version 5.0.9
When I then try running handbarke it says it requires version 5.0.0, which I guess is an earlier version.
So,, I cant get hanbrake working,
is there a new version of handbrake,
if not, how do I get an older version of .net please? completly stuck...
Thanks Alastair

i clearly cant submit an acivity log, as,, well, .......you see my problem

here is an activity log i copied , in case ii need to have one for algorithm, bu again. THIS IS NOT my log, as I cant get to that stage.
Thanks

[Mod Note: Removed unnecessary log.]
Deleted User 11865

Post by Deleted User 11865 »

Download the Desktop runtime, see picture above.
goodjaso
New User

Post by goodjaso »

FYI, the "picture above" will not show until you register and log in.
scheino
New User

Post by scheino »

I can't open handbrake and can't see the image that is needed to download the correct file and yes I have logged in
s55
HandBrake Team

Post by s55 »

You don't need the image. Just read the page. Download the Desktop Runtime for the platform your on.
Loether

Post by Loether »

I was able to solve my problem on windows 10. I was not able to run handbrake version 1.4.1 with the current version of .net 5.0.9*

Handbrake 1.4.1 works if I install the older version of .net 5.0.0 https://versionsof.net/core/5.0/5.0.0/

or you can go the other way and install the old version of handbrake version 1.3.3 https://handbrake.fr/old.php

Good luck!
s55
HandBrake Team

Post by s55 »

Do NOT install older versions of .NET Runtime as they do NOT contain security updates. 5.0.9 or the latest version of 5.0 works fine.

You simply have to install the Desktop Runtime. Neither the Server nor Console runtimes will work.
Loether

Post by Loether »

My mistake, I originally downloaded the wrong .net library. I was confused by the nav at the top .net download page I downloaded the console app .net. The original post is correct, sorry for muddying the waters.
chupacabra

Post by chupacabra »

I initially make the same mistake as other and downloaded the console version of .NET, but have corrected to the Desktop version and no longer get the .NET error, however, now Handbrake won't open at all. No error - no nothing. I've uninstalled and reinstalled, restarted computer...nothing. Just doesn't open.
Deleted User 11865

Post by Deleted User 11865 »

Please start your own topic and provide the Activity Log.
sjenkinsjr
New User

Post by sjenkinsjr »

I have installed the correct version of .net and version 1.4 keeps asking me to install .net 5.0... I can't seem to get it to run!
grantgw
New User

Post by grantgw »

Another way to get the correct .NET is to go here:
https://dotnet.microsoft.com/download/dotnet/5.0

Download the ".NET Desktop Runtime" version. For me it was on the right hand side of the browser.
Ozzie52

Post by Ozzie52 »

As far as I can tell, I did exactly as instructed by the moderator, but the program still won't run, as described in my posting this morning. I'd love to know what I'm doing wrong.
q99

Post by q99 »

I installed the correct .NET from the start, but this not only breaks Handbrake 1.4, it also breaks 1.3. No amount of uninstalling or reinstalling will fix it. Does nobody test these releases? Is your uninstaller garbage and won't actually uninstall the application? Please fix this.
q99

Post by q99 »

Even worse:
The only way I can make Handbrake run is install 1.4 (which is not recommended for my system) on a system *without* .NET 5. Wtf.
mduell
Veteran User

Post by mduell »

Sounds like PEBCAK.
xjonx
New User

Post by xjonx »

As a non-programmer and Windows user, I must say that the dotnet webpage is EXTREMELY confusing. When that page opens, Windows users will download the one on the left because the page is split into 3 columns (windows, linus, and macos) and under the WINDOWS column they see the 64 download. They know enough not to download stuff under the Linux and Macos columns because they won't work on windows. I had this problem as well and the screen shot you posted is very helpful, but would be more helpful if you either linked directly to the down or link to a windows only page when Handbrake is running on windows.

I know you don't control the dotnet page but helping users to the right answer would be very helpful. More helpful than letting a program requested update fail due to poor UI design on a partner website.
s55
HandBrake Team

Post by s55 »

We unfortunately, don't control the Link either. This is determined by Microsoft. Many developers have raised this to them but they've unfortunately chosen not to fix it for .NET 6 so I'm guessing it'll be a while before they do something about it which leaves us with a crap situation.
mossi2000

Post by mossi2000 »

When I updated to Handbrake 1.42 when getting a conversion error, I fell into the .NET 5.0.0 missing trap too.
I downloaded the proposed .NET 5.0.11 and installed only to have Handbrake NOT starting and complaining about .NET 5.0.0 missing.

After another retry I searched howto download the older version 5.0.0, uninstalled the latest version and installed it - and - oh wonder:
Handbrake 1.42 starts.
So maybe a version check might just be too picky -( == instead of >= ) I don't have any experience with .NET programming...

On the MS .NET 5.0 download site, just scroll down to get to the older versions.
Direct link:
[Link removed by moderator. ]

The conversion error still occurs, I'll discuss / share the logs in an appropriate thread.

Best regards,
Axel
s55
HandBrake Team

Post by s55 »

Please do not do that. That's a bad thing to do as you are missing out on security updates.

5.0.11 is fully compatible. See the screenshot above to download the correct runtime. The key is to grab the *DESKTOP* runtime.
mossi2000

Post by mossi2000 »

Hi, thanks for the hint on security updates. I was aware of that.
BUT now after the UPDATE of .NET 5.0.0 to 5.0.11 - Handbrake STILL starts.

The direct installation of the desktop version (I only have downloaded the x64 desktop versions.) after the installation of Handbrake 1.42 left Handbrake fail to start....
So maybe 5.0.11 is missing something which 5.0.0 still had....and does not wipe when updating...

Anyway if installing 5.0.0 with a later update to 5.0.11 helps.... we get both Handbrake running and the securiity fixes..

Axel