HandBrake & 4k

HandBrake for Windows support
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
xunil76

HandBrake & 4k

Post by xunil76 »

Just a simple question: what is the earliest version of HandBrake that supports 4k video?
Woodstock
Veteran User

Re: HandBrake & 4k

Post by Woodstock »

4K resolution, or h.265 video used in most commercial UHD sources? The resolution has been supported for a LOT longer than h.265.
mduell
Veteran User

Post by mduell »

There are commits specifically addressing issues with 4K (preview sizes, etc) as far back as 2015 as the material became more common, but it was supported long before that.
HardcoreGames

Post by HardcoreGames »

Even the original MPEG can support 4K x4K but H.264 can handle 4K video easily
xunil76

Post by xunil76 »

Woodstock wrote: Sun Jul 04, 2021 11:39 pm 4K resolution, or h.265 video used in most commercial UHD sources? The resolution has been supported for a LOT longer than h.265.
I'm guessing the h.265 encoding; I was trying to encode my 4K copy of The Rise Of Skywalker, and HandBrake was not able to load the files. It scans the entire file, but then it just says "No Title Selected" after it finishes, and it shows no chapters, no audio sources, no subtitles...nothing.

I'm using v0.9.9.5530 currently.
mduell
Veteran User

Post by mduell »

Post your activity log if you'd like help with a specific encode. This could not be clearer at the top of the page:
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
xunil76

Post by xunil76 »

I wasn't asking for help with an encode, which is why I didn't post the log. Like I said, I was just looking for the earliest version of HandBrake that supported the encoding of 4K content, I just didn't know it wasn't going to be a simple answer. But in response to Woodstock's inquiry about it being the resolution or the encoding format, I did confirm that the movie is encoded with h.265, so I just need to know the earliest version of HandBrake that supports commercial discs using h.265.

If no one wants to answer that because I didn't post an activity log, that's fine...I'm on the right track already, so I'll figure it out myself anyway.
rollin_eng
Veteran User

Post by rollin_eng »

Could you please post your HB logs, instructions can be found here:

https://handbrake.fr/docs/en/latest/hel ... y-log.html
Woodstock
Veteran User

Post by Woodstock »

Is there a reason you are limiting yourself to a build that was released over a decade ago, to work on disks with standards defined after that? Are you running this on XP or something?
mduell
Veteran User

Post by mduell »

HEVC decode is a different question than 4K support. HEVC decode was added prior to 2015, as DXVA2 accelerated HEVC decode was added in 2015.