Burning titles in Croatian

HandBrake for Windows support
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
hajaBle

Burning titles in Croatian

Post by hajaBle »

Description of problem or question:
Hi there,
I tried to combine subtitles and mp4 file (burning in the subtitles), which I succeeded in, but some letters (ž, š) are displayed as squares.
In Handbrake I chose my source (srt file), hrvatski language (croatian), char code ISO-8859-2, and the burn-in check mark.
All Croatian letters are well represented except š and ž. Which char-code should I choose? I googled the information which ISO to choose, but maybe that information is wrong.

HandBrake version (e.g., 1.0.0):

1.3.3 (2020061300)

Operating system and version (e.g., Ubuntu 16.04 LTS, macOS 10.13 High Sierra, Windows 10 Creators Update):
Windows 10 Home
20H2

HandBrake Activity Log ***required***

https://cutt.ly/zn0L3Pq
Woodstock
Veteran User

Re: Burning titles in Croatian

Post by Woodstock »

Code: Select all

"Codeset": "ISO-8859-2",
Are you SURE about this codeset? The most common nowadays is UTF-8, and choosing the wrong character encoding will give bad results.
hajaBle

Re: Burning titles in Croatian

Post by hajaBle »

Woodstock wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 12:45 pm

Code: Select all

"Codeset": "ISO-8859-2",
Are you SURE about this codeset? The most common nowadays is UTF-8, and choosing the wrong character encoding will give bad results.
I tried UTF-8 first but it was worst than ISO-8859-2, it didn't show any specific croatian characters (č, ć, dž, đ, ž, š). :(