Some AMD encodes fail but Intel work OK

HandBrake for Windows support
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
wyliec2

Some AMD encodes fail but Intel work OK

Post by wyliec2 »

Description of problem or question:

I have encoded several hundred BluRay movies to MKV files using AMD 3950X and 5950X. The output files are stored on my media server.

I have a couple models of recent Dune 4K capable media players that I use to play the MKV files.

On maybe a dozen instances, the MKV file hangs on start of play - it just stays at time position 0:00:00 or 0:00:01. I can jump to the next chapter and it plays fine and I can reverse back until a couple of seconds after start and it plays fine.

Quite by accident, I found that if I used my Intel 10700K using same HB version, same settings and same input file, the problematic MKV files DO NOT hang on start.

Comparing encodes between the two platforms, the output files are typically exactly the same size. For the AMD MKVs that hang, the files are slightly different in size.

The problems occur when the source audio track is Dolby Atmos with pass-through - I encode to reduce filesize but maintain full audio properties.

It seems the AMD output is an issue on about 1/3 of the Dolby Atmos encodes I do. This happens on both H264 and H265 10-bit, on the standard HB release and the nightly releases and on 4K encodes. Encoder Tune and Level make no difference either. I think this is entirely driven by the audio.

The oddity is that same input, same program version, same settings on the two platforms produce good results most of the time but an occasional title processing on AMD, will consistently produce a slightly different output that hangs.

On the AMD 5950X, I have a 1050 TI GPU. On the Intel 10700K I just use the integrated graphics. The GPU is not used in either platform for HB processing.

Examples below are:
Deepwater Horizon
AMD - Hangs on start
Intel - Works fine

News of the World
AMD - Fine
Intel - Fine

Steps to reproduce the problem (If Applicable):

Encode BD content with Dolby Atmos audio using pass-through on an AMD platform. The problem doesn't happen with all titles but those that fail, fail consistently when using different parameters EXCEPT audio. Changing the audio output eliminates the hang.

HandBrake version (e.g., 1.0.0):
These were copied from the 'About' sections in HB preferences from the respective platforms
Intel - HB 1.3.3 (2020061300)
AMD - HB 1.3.3 (2020061300)

Operating system and version (e.g., Ubuntu 16.04 LTS, macOS 10.13 High Sierra, Windows 10 Creators Update):

Intel - Windows 10 Home 20H2
AMD - Windows 10 Pro 2004

I have observed this problem for about a year and it has remained consistent throughout all Windows updates.

HandBrake Activity Log ***required*** (see How-to get an activity log)

NOTE: Both titles and encodes have Dolby Atmos audio with pass-through

AMD Deepwater Horizon - HANGS on start
FILESIZE: 9,176,855 KB
https://pastebin.com/qksr9tDA

Intel Deepwater Horizon - Works fine
FILESIZE: 9,176,831 KB
https://pastebin.com/X3BhMFdH

AMD News of the World - Works fine
FILESIZE: 6,363,226 KB
https://pastebin.com/rpf5FveV

Intel News of the World - Works fine
FILESIZE: 6,363,226 KB
https://pastebin.com/FbZwdry9
Deleted User 11865

Re: Some AMD encodes fail but Intel work OK

Post by Deleted User 11865 »

If you remux the output Matroska files with Mkvtoolnix, do you still get the hang?
wyliec2

Post by wyliec2 »

No - I tried it on two files and it resolved the hang at starting position!

I had never used that program so I had to install it. Looks to provide good information. With limited knowledge of the software, it didn't seem to show errors in the input MKV that might cause the hang. It does seem to show a great deal of information about the Matroska container!

Thanks for the suggestion. Any thoughts as to how this might be associated to different hardware platforms?
Deleted User 11865

Post by Deleted User 11865 »

Probably sub-optimal audio/video interleaving due to the audio or video track encoding faster than the other track on your AMD computer, is my best guess.