Re-encoding again from variable to constant FR

HandBrake for Windows support
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
linuxlad

Re-encoding again from variable to constant FR

Post by linuxlad »

Handbrake 1.3.3 Win7SP1

Is it possible to re-encode previously re-encoded videos with all the same settings except that instead of using variable framerate they will be re-encoded again with "constant framerate".

I have many videos that I recently encoded using the "variable framerate" and the original source videos are no longer available, however, due to certain reasons, I need to re-encode them again using "constant framerate" with everything else untouched and as is. Is is possible to re-encode the already re-encoded videos without having to re-encode the entire process by just simply re-encoding only the framerate using the constant framerate setting? If not then I assume that I can simply re-encode them using all the same exact settings I used previously when re-encoding from the source except changing the framerate from "variable" to "constant".
mduell
Veteran User

Re: Re-encoding again from variable to constant FR

Post by mduell »

Sure, you could do that. Pick the same preset you used and pick constant framerate. The quality will be slightly worse due to the reality of lossy encoding.
linuxlad

Post by linuxlad »

Thanks,

Yeah, the quality loss is negligible and not noticeable from any screen-size-to-distance I tested, pausing at different frames, and comparing screenshots at different frames. It does however add a few extra megabytes which is not a big-deal, I will just have to make a little extra space in all 23-drives by taking out a couple or so videos and moving them elsewhere if/when there is not enough space since the overall adds a little extra...for example, I just re-encoded 73.5GB worth of videos from the variable-framerate source to constant-framerate setting and when they completed, they all ended up at a total of about 76GB due to the few extra megabytes added to each file.

I initially started encoding all videos using constant framerate, however, on April the 15th I came across the handbrake article explaining the differences between constant and variable so I figured that it does not get any better than untouched/one-to-one exact copy of framerate and I didn't test the videos properly afterwards, so I now I have two weeks of daily encodes that I have to re-process, which I have already set aside those drives and logged all folders/files that need re-encoding; good thing that my database shows all modified dates for files/folders that can be sorted and the handbrake logs to verify them.

Good thing I caught it now instead of much later. I had two major reasons as to why I'm back-stepping and going back to "constant":

1.) I noticed that while watching those encodes with my firestick and when the camera slowly panned/moved/shifts vertical or horizontal that the videos has a stutter/shimmer effect that annoyed me (probably skipped or loss of frames) so I tested in other soft-players like MPC/VLC and I noticed the same effect so I downloaded the source videos as I initially suspected that it may be due to the source and after I came across a second set of videos with the same effect I noticed that this was only occurring for the variable-framerate encodes and not their source.

2.) I also decided to test these variable-framerate videos with my older hardware players and they would not even recognize the framerate at all as they showed up as 0fps and the videos were fast-forwarding while playing...something that I came across occasionally which I wanted to avoid at all costs and now I know exactly the cause of that. I have come across thousands of videos for films and shows and I have never came across a single video with a variable framerate flag, if however I do, I doubt that I would even need to re-encode it anyway so this will be a rare .01% probability vs 100% certainty of all a re-encoded videos that will have both issues if re-encoded with variable framerate enabled.

With constant framerate, the same re-encoded videos play smoothly and perfectly with no shimmer/stutter effect and no loss/skipped frames, they also play perfectly in my older hardware players and they show their actual framerates. After I enabled the variable setting I should have tested them in my older hardware players and the results would have been enough for me to never use that setting.
rollin_eng
Veteran User

Post by rollin_eng »

Could you please post your HB logs, instructions can be found here:

https://handbrake.fr/docs/en/latest/hel ... y-log.html
linuxlad

Post by linuxlad »

Which one? I have a total of 226 activity logs from four separate systems starting from April the 4th to May the 4th; do you want me to post all of them?
I could copy them to four separate folders named after each machine, archive them in a zip/rar and post them somewhere like "wetransfer".
Normally when I post a single log, I use pastebin.
mduell
Veteran User

Post by mduell »

An exemplar or two is all we need.
linuxlad

Post by linuxlad »

Ok, so I chose two activity logs from one system.

The top log is from April the 13th and the 2nd one at the bottom is from April the 17th.
I changed the setting from "Constant" to "Variable" on all the systems on April the 15th so the log includes one before and one after the setting was changed.

https://pastebin.com/4BRXgrE3