New to Handbrake

HandBrake for Windows support
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
steev

New to Handbrake

Post by steev »

Hey Folks!

I'm new to this forum and new to this world of Handbrake/iPod/DVD conversions. I'm an active poster at another online forum and recognize the power of the SEARCH feature, and I promise, I've tried to get answers already with no real avail. Hopefully I'm just missing something obvious. I'll start off by saying that all of the DVD's that I'm putting on my iPod are indeed mine and in my posession.

Lots of vacation days and a stress fracture have kept me in front of my computer more than usual and I've decided to try and rip some of my DVD's on to my 30GB Video iPod. I'm taking a trip in a few weeks and it's just easier to bring the iPod along instead of the portable DVD player.

I'm using Handbrake 0.9.1. I've been using the iPod Low-Rez setting. Can someone give me some basic parameters that I can use that would eliminate the black "bars" when I view on the iPod? I've enabled the Auto Crop, but it does not seem to make a difference in the final product. Do you recommend setting it to Manual and entering numbers in the "Top" and "Bottom"?

Please forgive my newbie questions. I'm sure someone will be able to answer these questions in about 2 seconds. Any help would be greatly appreciated, as well as any other tips or tricks to enhance my DVD transferring!

-steev
dynaflash
Veteran User

Re: New to Handbrake

Post by dynaflash »

steev wrote:Can someone give me some basic parameters that I can use that would eliminate the black "bars" when I view on the iPod?
Yep, on your iPod go to Video Settings > Widescreen and turn it to "Off".
steev

Post by steev »

Thanks for the super-fast reply, dynaflash!

Does it sound like I'm doing everything else correctly? Should I still set the Cropping setting to "Auto Crop"? Again, any other tips are greatly appreciated!

-steev
dynaflash
Veteran User

Post by dynaflash »

Its a matter of opinion, but I always just let HB do the cropping, for me 99 times out of 100 its just what I want anyway.
steev

Post by steev »

Awesome, thanks. I guess I'll just keep setting it to auto and see what happens!

-steev