Automatic File Naming

HandBrake for Windows support
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
shaneo88
New User

Automatic File Naming

Post by shaneo88 »

Description of problem or question:

Hey all, no problem specifically, just a question.

The question I have is in regards to the automatic file naming. I'm going to say straight up that I know of (and use, frequently) the {source_folder_name} variable.

My source material is set out like this,
H:\Converted\TV\Show Title (year)\Season XX\Files go here

- Season XX is what {source_folder_name} picks up as that folder is source folder.
- Show title (year) is what i also want handbrake to pick up, but it is one folder above what {source_folder_name} is able to detect.

Currently every time I have to encode another TV show I need to go into settings and change the output folder to the title of the show I'm encoding. Is there any way for handbrake to be able to look 2 folders deep when using {source_folder_name}, so it could detect the name of the folder containing the videos, but also the name of the folder containing that folder?

I could possibly do it using handbrakecli, but I've only just discovered it and would have to figure out a for loop for it. Unless someone could help me with that, though I suspect i will just be directed to the CLI forum

thank

Steps to reproduce the problem (If Applicable):
No problem specifically

HandBrake version (e.g., 1.0.0):

Operating system and version (e.g., Ubuntu 16.04 LTS, macOS 10.13 High Sierra, Windows 10 Creators Update):
Windows 10 Pro Insider Build 20185

HandBrake Activity Log ***required*** (see How-to get an activity log)

Code: Select all

https://pastebin.com/Zi8XM2k1
Woodstock
Veteran User

Re: Automatic File Naming

Post by Woodstock »

CLI is, of course, the best way to have full control, once you go to multiple levels of differentiation. For the GUI, I would recommend using only one level, which it can manage with the macros, then using your file manager to disperse the encoded files to subdirectories.