Smaller files for a tablet.

HandBrake for Windows support
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
Charvelx04

Smaller files for a tablet.

Post by Charvelx04 »

Description of problem or question:

Okay.
I have a collection of videos that were ripped to MP4 from DVD. Most of those can be stored on this tablet without taking up too much room.

However, I have a few Bluray rips that are sizeable.

When re-encoding to a smaller size frame width, say 1080 to 480, do I use the same codec as the original file, or do I have to rip the disk again and start over?

Steps to reproduce the problem (If Applicable):

n/a

HandBrake version (e.g., 1.0.0):

Operating system and version (e.g., Ubuntu 16.04 LTS, macOS 10.13 High Sierra, Windows 10 Creators Update):

Windows 10 64bit (19042.746)

HandBrake Activity Log ***required*** (see How-to get an activity log)

Technical question needing answer, not a problem or issue.

Code: Select all

Please replace this text with the contents of your log file between the two code tags - OR -  provide a pastebin URL in place of these 3 lines.
If you are unable to do so, please state why so we can help you.
Charvelx04

Re: Smaller files for a tablet.

Post by Charvelx04 »

My apologies, I posted this in the wrong forum... can someone send to General for me, please?
mduell
Veteran User

Post by mduell »

The best option is to start from the original source.

However for a dramatic reduction (1/5th the resolution as you propose), starting from the encode is probably fine if it's substantially more convenient to you.
Charvelx04

Post by Charvelx04 »

It is more convenient as far as setup goes.. my new system doesn't include the use of an internal optical drive, and having to plug/unplug I have to use is annoying at best.

I appreciate the reply. Question still remains though, if I encoded the first rip, say using x265 10bit @1080p... do I use the same settings for the re-encode, just reset the frame size to 480p?
Woodstock
Veteran User

Post by Woodstock »

Remember that you do not have to rip and encode on the same machine; handbrake is not intended as a ripping application. Making "raw" MKV files on a machine that DOES have an optical disk, using tools like MakeMKV, can be a solution.

If resizing for a tablet is what you're mainly after, you can pick one of the "devices" presets. These generally take into account limitations within the playback hardware/software. My "tablet" preset was constructed from the Android 720p30 preset, because the tablets I play it on do not do well with 1080p. It also works on Apple devices I own.

If I want to encode a DVD, it will leave it as 480p, but 1080p or bigger sources will shrink to 720p (constrained by the preset).

If the files are still "too big", you can increase the RF value; the 21 used in the Android 720p30 preset could be moved to 22 or maybe 24 without too much degradation of a 1080p source. It all depends on how good it looks to you.
Charvelx04

Post by Charvelx04 »

"Making "raw" MKV files on a machine that DOES have an optical disk, using tools like MakeMKV, can be a solution."

True. I have that all set up on my older HTPC running an FX8350. It's my Ryzen 7 machine I don't have an optical drive. Getting time on the HTPC on the other hand is more troublesome.. hahaha.. as it's the main viewing PC for the living room.

I'll take a dive thru those presets and see how they fair in contrast to the custom ones I've made.

Appreciate the reply.