New GPU For NVEnc vs GTX 1650

HandBrake for Windows support
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
Daringbaaz

New GPU For NVEnc vs GTX 1650

Post by Daringbaaz »

Description of problem or question:

Hello, Currently I Have GTX 1650 on My Ryzen Build 3970x (32c/64T)

and i had Some how learnt that Nvidia GTX 1650 Have old nvenc Encoder, and I am Currently planning to go with Nvidia GTX 3080

Will Latest GPU Can Make Quality Difference, or is there any Specific GPU Which Can provide better Video output similar to software encoding

Steps to reproduce the problem (If Applicable):

Well, this is my Question

HandBrake version (e.g., 1.0.0):

Handbrake 1.3.3 (With FDK AAC Build)

https://www.reddit.com/user/VeritablePo ... ndows_x64/

Installed Stable version and Replaced File from Above Link

Operating system and version (e.g., Ubuntu 16.04 LTS, macOS 10.13 High Sierra, Windows 10 Creators Update):

Windows 10 Pro

HandBrake Activity Log ***required*** (see How-to get an activity log)

Code: Select all

Null
s55
HandBrake Team

Re: New GPU For NVEnc vs GTX 1650

Post by s55 »

Are the newer generation GPU's better? Yes
Are they better enough to justify spending cash to upgrade? Probably not unless you have other reason to upgrade
Are they are good as software? No, you'll still end up with larger files or poorer results. Whether it's "good enough" for your use case, only you can really decide.

Also be careful downloading 3rd party versions of HandBrake. Unless you know the person, your taking a risk downloading them. This individual is violating our license which doesn't exactly inspire trust.
Deleted User 13735

Post by Deleted User 13735 »

Will Latest GPU Can Make Quality Difference, or is there any Specific GPU Which Can provide better Video output similar to software encoding
No, such advances are years away, if at all.
tlindgren
Bright Spark User

Post by tlindgren »

Daringbaaz wrote: Sun Nov 29, 2020 3:55 am Hello, Currently I Have GTX 1650 on My Ryzen Build 3970x (32c/64T)
and i had Some how learnt that Nvidia GTX 1650 Have old nvenc Encoder, and I am Currently planning to go with Nvidia GTX 3080
The "new" 7th gen Nvidia encoder is in the SOME 1650, all 1650 Super and any 1660, 20xx or 30xx card.

So since you say you have a 1650 you actually need to check which specific chip the manufacturer used, most don't have it but some 1650's are built using higher end parts that failed testing for 1650 Super or 1660's, those cards will thus have the new Nvenc too.

The way to do this is to run GPU-Z and look at the GPU field, if it says TU116 it doesn't have it, if it says TU116 or TU106 it have the new encoder.

For later reference, if someone else has a different card the way to check is to run GPU-Z to find the chip used and then look that up in the Nvidia Video Encode and Decode GPU Support Matrix.
Daringbaaz wrote: Sun Nov 29, 2020 3:55 am Will Latest GPU Can Make Quality Difference, or is there any Specific GPU Which Can provide better Video output similar to software encoding
No, there's no GPU encoder that will get even close to the quality/file size balance you'll get with software encoding. Probably won't be in the near future either. The fundamental equation still holds, quality/size/speed, choose TWO at best (a bad encoder might only get one).

That being said, my understanding is that the 7th gen Nvidia encoder is significantly better than any of the other hardware encoders on the market, including 6th gen Nvidia, Intel and AMD.

For some that is enough, they're willing to accept larger files for the same quality for faster encodes. Do remember that the quality factors are NOT transferable between different encoders, whether they're software or hardware (x264 and x265 is not the same encoder, nor is any of the different hardware encoders).
So you can't just run them all at the same settings and then just compare file sizes and speed, the quality will be significantly different too, it's possible to get good comparisons but it's a LOT of work and it easy to get it wrong.
alonsomosley

Post by alonsomosley »

I have a slightly different opinion than @tlindgren
tlindgren wrote: Sun Nov 29, 2020 7:04 pm The "new" 7th gen Nvidia encoder is in the SOME 1650, all 1650 Super and any 1660, 20xx or 30xx card.
Your card, the 1650 has an older encoder onboard (volta, 6th gen nvenc). The others have a newer one (turing, 7th gen). Even the 1650 super has the newer one. There are no exceptions as @tlindgren suggested. An 1650 has always a volta, the 1650 super always a turing encoder (not to be confused with the GPU itself, both are turings).

The newer turing encoder produces a way better HEVC (h265) quality than the older ones, so go for it if it is important for you.
tlindgren wrote: Sun Nov 29, 2020 7:04 pm No, there's no GPU encoder that will get even close to the quality/file size balance you'll get with software encoding.
The new turing encoder, using HVEC gets damn close to the quality of a CPU encoder (x.265) at the same file size. It is true, you cannot squeeze the very last drop of quality out of it like with x.265 "slow" but it is about 5-10x faster. The small quality tradeoff is well worth the speed advantage. A further small disadvantage is that you cannot use quality based (CRF) encodes with nvenc, only bitrate controlled.

It would be great btw if Handbrake implemented the new NVENC presets defined in the new Video Codec SDK 10 to get the most out of turing with simple settings...
alonsomosley

Post by alonsomosley »

I just did a test run with some transcodes for you and checked the quality with VMAF score
the test video was a Tenet trailer from here: http://www.hd-trailers.net/movie/tenet/ (the shorter one), dark scenes, fast scenes, etc

The Results:
Handbrake x.265 CRF 22 slow (results ca 1800 kbps): VMAF score 73,37
Handbrake NVENC h265 Turing VBR 1800 kbps: VMAF score 72,83
Hybrid NVENC h265 new presets SDK10, quality P1 VBR 1800 kbps: VMAF score 70,79
XMediaREcode NVENC h265 VBR HQ 1800 kbps:VMAF score 72,95

CPU encoding on a Ryzen 5 2600x 6-Core: ca. 15 fps
NVENC: ca. 130-150 fps (the fastest was XMedieRecode with activated GPU de- and endoding), the whole PC nearly in idle (even GPU silent fan idle)

visually all files were fine. So NVENC HEVC on Turing delivers nearly same quality as x265 slow (!), about 10x faster and less power consumption.
Other test runs I did show a very similar picture.
mduell
Veteran User

Post by mduell »

VMAF scores in the low 70s seem bad all around.