Handbrake with OPtimus Nvidia MX250

HandBrake for Windows support
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
dagunny

Handbrake with OPtimus Nvidia MX250

Post by dagunny »

Description of problem or question:

I have a laptop with i7 10gen nvidia 4GB mx250 Optimus and Intel running W10x64Pro-v2004. Using nvidia inspector, when I run an h264 encode, I get 0% GPU utilization. I have Windows 10 Pro setup for Handbrake as high performance under Windows Display Graphics setting as well as hardware accelerated GPU scheduling. In nvidia control panel I have everything set to mx250 high performance and specific apps (Handbrake, VLC) set to high performance MX250. In nvidia inspector I have SHIM_RENDERING_MODE_ENABLED, SHIM_MCCOMPAT_ENABLED, and SHIM_RENDERING_DEFAULT RESOLUTION_DEFAULT. Regardless of what I do I never get anything for GPU utilization under Windows. If I bring up VLC on the laptop GPU utilization goes to 55%, Photoshopx64 kicks it up as well as many other programs. My question is: Does the WIndows version Handbrake address the GPU at all? If I swap drives and use Linux and Handbrake on the same box under Fedora33 I get a 1-5% GPU. VLC under Linux kicks it up to 55%. I have another box (Supermicro small depth) that has a GT710 2GB card in it and will do 264NVenc at GPU10% and video utilization up to 55% running Handbrake. Plain 264 gets GPU 7% and video utilization up to stays around zero. Unfortunately, the laptop bios has no discrete setting. Is there anyway to harness the GPU on the laptop using WIndows 10?

Steps to reproduce the problem (If Applicable):

As above

HandBrake version (e.g., 1.0.0):

Latest 1.3.3 w10x64

Operating system and version (e.g., Ubuntu 16.04 LTS, macOS 10.13 High Sierra, Windows 10 Creators Update):

W10x64Pro v2004 and Linux Fedora 33

HandBrake Activity Log ***required*** (see How-to get an activity log)

Code: Select all

Please replace this text with the contents of your log file between the two code tags - OR -  provide a pastebin URL in place of these 3 lines.
If you are unable to do so, please state why so we can help you.
s55
HandBrake Team

Re: Handbrake with OPtimus Nvidia MX250

Post by s55 »

MX250 does not support NVEnc encoding so you can't use it for such. At best it'll only have decode support which is no use to HandBrake.

GT 710 is below HandBrake's minimum system requirements and is not supported.
dagunny

Post by dagunny »

I'm not looking for NVENC on the MX250 - just looking for plain jane h264 encoding on the laptop but taking advantage of the 384 cuda cores. Under WIndows I do not see any GPU utilization for H264 with Handbrake. However, under Fedora Linux F33 (swapping drives on the same box) I see GPU utilization up to 55%. My question is: Does Handbrake support calls to the GPU under Windows? It obviously does under Linux. I fully understand that the NVENC is unsupported. I just gave the GT710 as an example and showed how it also does H264 (and h264 nvenc) and has GPU utilization in both. VLC and other programs under Windows and Linux on the same laptop show GPU utilization. Is there anything I can do to make Handbrake use the MX250 for encoding (vice the Intel)?
s55
HandBrake Team

Post by s55 »

HandBrake does not support the deprecated legacy CUDA encoder on either Linux or Windows. Nvidia abandoned this a while back.
Since your MX250 doesn't support NVEnc, your outa luck here on both platforms.

The GPU activity on Linux is something else. Maybe just the UI or something else running in the background.
dagunny

Post by dagunny »

Is there an older version I could download that would support this? Seems a shame to waste a 4GB video card. I just want to use what's available while I'm on the road and not at home with my big boxes. Lots of laptops now have the Optimus nvidia.
Deleted User 11865

Post by Deleted User 11865 »

HandBrake never had CUDA encoding support.