An Unknown Error Has Occured

HandBrake for Windows support
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
sirloyne

An Unknown Error Has Occured

Post by sirloyne »

Description of problem or question:
After installing my new Radeon RX 5600 XT handbrake no longer loads.

Steps to reproduce the problem (If Applicable):
I've tried downloading the newest version of Handbrake and I get the same error

HandBrake version (e.g., 1.0.0):

Operating system and version (e.g., Ubuntu 16.04 LTS, macOS 10.13 High Sierra, Windows 10 Creators Update):
Windows 7 SP1 x64

HandBrake Activity Log ***required*** (see How-to get an activity log)

Code: Select all

An Unknown Error has occurred.
System.Reflection.TargetInvocationException: Exception has been thrown by the target of an invocation. ---> System.TypeInitializationException: The type initializer for 'HandBrake.Interop.Interop.HandBrakeUtils' threw an exception. ---> System.AccessViolationException: Attempted to read or write protected memory. This is often an indication that other memory is corrupt.
   at HandBrake.Interop.Interop.HbLib.HBFunctions.hb_global_init()
   at HandBrake.Interop.Interop.HandBrakeUtils.TryInit() in D:\Development\HandBrake\handbrake-release\win\CS\HandBrake.Interop\Interop\HandBrakeUtils.cs:line 97
   at HandBrake.Interop.Interop.HandBrakeUtils..cctor() in D:\Development\HandBrake\handbrake-release\win\CS\HandBrake.Interop\Interop\HandBrakeUtils.cs:line 68
   --- End of inner exception stack trace ---
   at HandBrake.Interop.Interop.HandBrakeUtils.add_MessageLogged(EventHandler`1 value)
   at HandBrakeWPF.Services.Logging.LogService..ctor() in D:\Development\HandBrake\handbrake-release\win\CS\HandBrakeWPF\Services\Logging\LogService.cs:line 57
   at HandBrakeWPF.Services.Logging.LogService.GetLogger() in D:\Development\HandBrake\handbrake-release\win\CS\HandBrakeWPF\Services\Logging\LogService.cs:line 158
   at HandBrakeWPF.Services.Scan.LibScan..ctor() in D:\Development\HandBrake\handbrake-release\win\CS\HandBrakeWPF\Services\Scan\LibScan.cs:line 47
   --- End of inner exception stack trace ---
   at System.RuntimeTypeHandle.CreateInstance(RuntimeType type, Boolean publicOnly, Boolean noCheck, Boolean& canBeCached, RuntimeMethodHandleInternal& ctor, Boolean& bNeedSecurityCheck)
   at System.RuntimeType.CreateInstanceSlow(Boolean publicOnly, Boolean skipCheckThis, Boolean fillCache, StackCrawlMark& stackMark)
   at System.Activator.CreateInstance(Type type, Boolean nonPublic)
   at System.Activator.CreateInstance(Type type)
   at Caliburn.Micro.SimpleContainer.ActivateInstance(Type type, Object[] args)
   at Caliburn.Micro.SimpleContainer.<>c__DisplayClass7_0.<RegisterSingleton>b__0(SimpleContainer container)
   at System.Linq.Enumerable.WhereSelectArrayIterator`2.MoveNext()
   at System.Collections.Generic.List`1.InsertRange(Int32 index, IEnumerable`1 collection)
   at Caliburn.Micro.SimpleContainer.DetermineConstructorArgs(Type implementation)
   at Caliburn.Micro.SimpleContainer.<>c__DisplayClass7_0.<RegisterSingleton>b__0(SimpleContainer container)
   at System.Linq.Enumerable.WhereSelectArrayIterator`2.MoveNext()
   at System.Collections.Generic.List`1.InsertRange(Int32 index, IEnumerable`1 collection)
   at Caliburn.Micro.SimpleContainer.DetermineConstructorArgs(Type implementation)
   at HandBrakeWPF.Startup.AppBootstrapper.GetInstance(Type service, String key) in D:\Development\HandBrake\handbrake-release\win\CS\HandBrakeWPF\Startup\AppBootstrapper.cs:line 130
   at Caliburn.Micro.BootstrapperBase.DisplayRootViewFor(Type viewModelType, IDictionary`2 settings)
   at HandBrakeWPF.Startup.AppBootstrapper.OnStartup(Object sender, StartupEventArgs e) in D:\Development\HandBrake\handbrake-release\win\CS\HandBrakeWPF\Startup\AppBootstrapper.cs:line 113
   at System.Windows.Application.OnStartup(StartupEventArgs e)
   at HandBrakeWPF.App.OnStartup(StartupEventArgs e) in D:\Development\HandBrake\handbrake-release\win\CS\HandBrakeWPF\App.xaml.cs:line 121
   at System.Windows.Application.<.ctor>b__1_0(Object unused)
   at System.Windows.Threading.ExceptionWrapper.InternalRealCall(Delegate callback, Object args, Int32 numArgs)
   at System.Windows.Threading.ExceptionWrapper.TryCatchWhen(Object source, Delegate callback, Object args, Int32 numArgs, Delegate catchHandler)
rollin_eng
Veteran User

Re: An Unknown Error Has Occured

Post by rollin_eng »

You could try the latest version or a nightly, maybe make sure.NET is ok, but Windows 7 is becoming less supported.
sirloyne

Post by sirloyne »

It worked fine, right up until I put in my new video card. I'm thinking this is a major part of the problem... "Attempted to read or write protected memory. This is often an indication that other memory is corrupt."

Other software has stopped working as well. Particularly SunsetScreen, to change the color temperature of my monitor.
s55
HandBrake Team

Post by s55 »

You've likely got a corrupted graphics driver. Run Driver uninstaller DDU and re-install the latest drivers for that GPU and see if it helps.
rollin_eng
Veteran User

Post by rollin_eng »

As s55 said, try your graphics software first, even try using default Windows drivers.
sirloyne

Post by sirloyne »

I was hoping the drivers were the problem. I had originally downloaded the "Adrenalin 2020 Edition 20.11.1 Optional" driver. I uninstalled it and installed the "Adrenalin 2020 Edition 20.4.2 Recommended (WHQL)" driver instead, but the problem persists. I uninstalled the 1.2.2 x86 Handbrake, and installed the 1.2.2 x64, just to see. Nothing. I can install 1.1.1 though, and it runs fine.
rollin_eng
Veteran User

Post by rollin_eng »

What about a nightly build?
s55
HandBrake Team

Post by s55 »

Given that 1.1.1 works, it's highly likely the hardware probe in 1.2 or later is triggering the failure. That's a common failure with broken driver installs.

The "SafeMode" nightly exists to work around this problem for those unable to fix their systems.
sirloyne

Post by sirloyne »

I don't believe it a broken driver. I downloaded two different drivers. It's unlikely that they were both corrupt. I downloaded the "SafeMode" build, but all I got was a black box that flashed and disappeared. Any idea. Frankly I think the easiest thing to do is just go back to my old video card and get my $300 back.
sirloyne

Post by sirloyne »

My old card had a DVI port and this new one doesn't. I had to get an HDMI to DVI cable to connect it to my monitor. I know this is far-fetched, but is there any chance the HDMI is causing a problem?
s55
HandBrake Team

Post by s55 »

Highly unlikely.
sirloyne

Post by sirloyne »

I put my old card back in and everything is as right as rain. Curious.
Woodstock
Veteran User

Post by Woodstock »

sirloyne wrote: Thu Nov 26, 2020 12:00 am I put my old card back in and everything is as right as rain. Curious.
Then that would be, "an unknown solution was found"?

(couldn't resist)

The DVI-D vs. HDMI shouldn't matter, because they're "spozdabe" electrically identical.

Broken drivers can be broken in a variety of ways.