How to set/keep the "interlaced" flag present in some sources without using HB deinterlace?

HandBrake for Windows support
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
gendalf

How to set/keep the "interlaced" flag present in some sources without using HB deinterlace?

Post by gendalf »

How to carry over whatever interlace settings video had or just have an interlaced flag so that I can select the deinterlace method or turn it off later in the player or have it perform its default action for interlaced video.
Woodstock
Veteran User

Re: How to set/keep the "interlaced" flag present in some sources without using HB deinterlace?

Post by Woodstock »

if you are asking how to get handbrake to output interlaced video, that is not an option. If interlacing is important, you are better off using the original source, for the least amount of degradation.
gendalf

Re: How to set/keep the "interlaced" flag present in some sources without using HB deinterlace?

Post by gendalf »

ok that's what I've been using (off option)
I just thought that for TV it's better to keep the flag since it doesn't have any option for deinterlace, but might use whatever built-in software for it and some videos have built-in parameters like "top field first".
Woodstock
Veteran User

Post by Woodstock »

Handbrake is generating a progressive file, rather than interlaced.

Which is "better" depends on the TV itself; obviously, a TV with a cathode ray tube display is going to work better with interlacing, but LCD and other display technologies have to convert the interlaced video to progressive when they display it.
musicvid
Veteran User

Post by musicvid »

I just thought that for TV it's better to keep the flag since it doesn't have any option for deinterlace, but might use whatever built-in software for it and some videos have built-in parameters like "top field first".
No, your teevee takes care of that for you. Your progressive mp4 is fine for both local and streaming playback; interlaced is not.

One special case is when authoring a DVD (something Handbrake does not do). 24p footage must be flagged to interlaced NTSC or PAL during authoring for compliance with the playback spec. No other correction is needed.