Converting 4K HDR content

HandBrake for Windows support
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
oRBIT2002
Experienced

Converting 4K HDR content

Post by oRBIT2002 »

So I want to convert my UHD "The Goonies" to have it on my computer. The question, the sourcematerial is HDR-stuff, do I need to bother about this when encoding with Handbrake? I think the result (when testing) looks slightly washed out on my computerscreen. Not sure if that's a "problem" with the original movie or my encode-settings (I used 8-bit HEVC).
If that's an "artifact" of that the movie is HDR, is there a way to "get rid" of the washed-out "problem"?
Woodstock
Veteran User

Re: Converting 4K HDR content

Post by Woodstock »

The 10-bit HDR won't come through - handbrake would convert it to 8-bit non-HDR, and the colors will be "less vibrant".

Right now, you would need a different program to retain the HDR.
oRBIT2002
Experienced

Post by oRBIT2002 »

If I'm not that interested in HDR, is there a way to get the colors "back", so to speak, in Handbrake and just store the file in 8-bit mode?
Deleted User 13735

Post by Deleted User 13735 »

You are mystifying a bit here.
All of the 8 bit colors will be retained in the downsampling to 8 bit.
The remainder of the 10 bit colors will not be retained. It is that simple.
And no, once done, you can not unbake that cake. You can not magically extract 10 bit colors back from 8 bit encoded media, in Handbrake or anywhere else.
mduell
Veteran User

Post by mduell »

If the source is correctly mastered and flagged 10-bit HDR, HB will output correctly converted 8-bit SDR.
oRBIT2002
Experienced

Post by oRBIT2002 »

Just noticed that playback in VLC of my HDR->SDR conversion looked good. Directplay in Plex looked good aswell, but during transcoding in Plex Media Server, it looks really washed out. Looks like a Plex-issue but would be interesting to know if I can adapt my encodes to make it look proper even in Plex..
Deleted User 13735

Post by Deleted User 13735 »

If it looks ok to you in VLC, Plex is a separate, outboard issue with a separate, outboard decoder, so the presumptive answer is "no."
mduell
Veteran User

Post by mduell »

That's a Plex support question, not a HB one.