.M4V filetype causes desktop refresh / flashing every second, .MP4 is fine

HandBrake for Windows support
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
jrbrearley

.M4V filetype causes desktop refresh / flashing every second, .MP4 is fine

Post by jrbrearley »

Description of problem or question:
This is not a Handbrake specific issue, but Handbrake helps the user hit this Windows issue by having .M4V file type as the default.

Since I started using Handbrake some 3 years ago, I noticed that when Windows Explorer was showing a directory of files created by Handbrake, the Windows desktop was being refreshed every second. This made it impossible to rename files with Windows Explorer, as the desktop refresh would interrupt the typing of the name and create a messed up name.

The solution seems to be using .MP4 as the default file type. This can be set via Handbrake Tools menu --> Preferences --> Output files, set MP4 File Extension to MP4 (default is M4V).

To cleanup prior issues, I wrote a TCL script that will recursively process a specified directory structure and rename files according to the specified patterns. In my case I was changing .M4V to .MP4. If it would help other users, I can post this TCL script.

Perhaps you would consider changing the default file type to .MP4?

Steps to reproduce the problem (If Applicable):
1) If you don't have a .M4V file handy, copy any old file and rename the file type to .M4V
2) In Windows Explorer, display the directory with the .m4V file
3) You will see the Windows desktop start refreshing every second
4) Use a DOS command prompt to "cd" to the directory with the .M4V file
5) Use the DOS rename command to change the file type to .MP4
6) The Windows desktop should now stop refreshing every second
NB: The Windows desktop will also stop refreshing when Windows Explorer shows a different directory with NO .M4V files

HandBrake version (e.g., 1.0.0):

Operating system and version (e.g., Ubuntu 16.04 LTS, macOS 10.13 High Sierra, Windows 10 Creators Update):
Windows 10 Home, v2004 & current updates

HandBrake Activity Log ***required*** (see How-to get an activity log)

Activity log is not relevant for this issue.

Code: Select all

Please replace this text with the contents of your log file between the two code tags - OR -  provide a pastebin URL in place of these 3 lines.
If you are unable to do so, please state why so we can help you.
Woodstock
Veteran User

Re: .M4V filetype causes desktop refresh / flashing every second, .MP4 is fine

Post by Woodstock »

At a guess, Windows is trying to "play" the file on the desktop, and giving it an MP4 extension keeps it from doing that.

Because, like obviously, if you put something on your desktop, you want it to play, right? HAVE to have everything crawling around on the desktop, dude!

(yes, I think Microsoft is stupid enough to do that.)
Deleted User 13735

Post by Deleted User 13735 »

This is not a known issue affecting Windows alone. It may have something to do with whatever application has control over the file type.
Rorchach91

Post by Rorchach91 »

As the previous post mentioned, Don't know if there's a windows file association problem, I would recommend to check the windows control panel(Windows setting) --> Apps --> default apps to see if the .mp4 are correctly associated?
jrbrearley

Post by jrbrearley »

Both .mp4 & m4v are correctly mapped to open with VLC Player. When I use Windows Explorer to double click on files with either of these file types, they start playing in VLC Player.
Deleted User 13735

Post by Deleted User 13735 »

It's not a known issue, but something unique to your setup. I'm pretty sure of that.