Handbrake 1.3.3 Keeps Crashing

HandBrake for Windows support
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
compression2180

Handbrake 1.3.3 Keeps Crashing

Post by compression2180 »

Description of problem or question:

Handbrake keeps crashing on my system. I've been running this version of the software for about 1 month with no issues, now all of a sudden most of my encodes crash and handbrake closes. I have plenty of free CPU bandwidth (running a 3900x) and the system under load runs at 69 degrees Celsius.

Steps to reproduce the problem (If Applicable):

Run an encode.

HandBrake version (e.g., 1.0.0):

Operating system and version (e.g., Ubuntu 16.04 LTS, macOS 10.13 High Sierra, Windows 10 Creators Update):

Windows 10 pro version 2004

HandBrake Activity Log ***required*** (see How-to get an activity log)

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1GMj41i ... sp=sharing

Code: Select all

Not sure where code "tags" are in the log file.  I searched code and only saw encode come up.  The entire log file is linked above.
compression2180

Re: Handbrake 1.3.3 Keeps Crashing

still crashing, anyone have any suggestions? Previous post had a link to my log file. Any other applications that you would recommend if this doesn't work?
Woodstock
Veteran User

Post by Woodstock »

Are there any Windows Event Viewer entries for when it crashes?
compression2180

Yes, what info do you need?
compression2180

Here is all of the info from the windows reliability manager.

Faulting application name: HandBrake.exe, version: 1.3.3.0, time stamp: 0x5ee4fc36
Faulting module name: hb.DLL, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x00000000
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x0000000001bbccdd
Faulting process id: 0x45d8
Faulting application start time: 0x01d6691e80da808e
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files\HandBrake\HandBrake.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Program Files\HandBrake\hb.DLL
Report Id: c15dce90-6b29-49d4-babf-4dae3eee3698
Faulting package full name:
Faulting package-relative application ID:
Woodstock
Veteran User

Post by Woodstock »

The very first hit Google came up with for the exception code has this quote from a Microsoft moderator:
Application Error 0xc0000005 (Access Violation) error is usually caused by your computer not being able to correctly process the files and settings required to run a particular program or installation. Despite the error showing when you try and use particular pieces of software, it has many different causes including faulty RAM problems, errors with the files of your PC and issues with the settings of your PC.

In this case, we suggest that you check for corrupted Windows system files. System File Checker (SFC) is a utility in Windows that scans for corrupted Windows system files. If it finds a problem, it will try to replace the problematic system files from a cached version that’s on your PC.
One thing that handbrake does is it stresses your PC in ways that many benchmark programs do not - it is very good at finding weaknesses you didn't think you had.

Are you overclocking your processor? If so, try it at standard speed, to see if the issue goes away. Your description indicates you have plenty of cooling for the processor, which is something others neglect. But RAM can be flaky at any speed. Crap, now I'm thinking about flaky biscuits....
compression2180

Thanks for the tip, I'll check these options right away!! How can i check re ram stability?
Woodstock
Veteran User

Post by Woodstock »

RAM tests are usually a pain in ... Because most of them require you to shut down the operating system so it doesn't get in the way, and then they don't really stress it when they do the test. I'm not the best person to ask about them, as I rarely build "highly stressed" systems anymore. I just know that some RAM chips will pass a multi-pass read/write test, but fail at inconvenient times when a bit gets flipped because a different bit was flipped at the "wrong time".

If you have an infrared thermometer handy, you might also look at the temp of the RAM and motherboard chip set under load. CPU temp doesn't show those, and case ventilation can be an issue. When I'm doing multi-day encodes, I turn on an additional case fan.