All video and audio cutting out

HandBrake for Windows support
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
Taylor7500

All video and audio cutting out

Post by Taylor7500 »

Description of problem or question:

Handbrake gets most of the way through an encode, and then all audio and video cuts out on my PC. My monitor just loses all signal and any audio processed through the computer. Most likely a whole lot more shuts off but I don't have an easy way to tell. My PC's fans are still sped up to pretty much maximum as is normal for a transcode but the only way to get my PC to behave again is to hit the manual reset switch.

Handbrake as trancoded some files before just fine, I have tried switching out the file being transcoded, the final destination of that file, and the transcoding settings. I am positive that it's not some failing of my monitor or HDMI or audio cables. I have uninstalled and reinstalled Handbrake but no luck there, and run a full virus scan so that doesn't appear to be the cause.

Steps to reproduce the problem (If Applicable):

* Set up a transcode.

* Wait for everything to go black.

HandBrake version (e.g., 1.0.0):

Operating system and version (e.g., Ubuntu 16.04 LTS, macOS 10.13 High Sierra, Windows 10 Creators Update):

Windows 10 Pro 1909

HandBrake Activity Log ***required*** (see How-to get an activity log)

https://pastebin.com/QPdw4CHG
s55
HandBrake Team

Re: All video and audio cutting out

Post by s55 »

What your describing is typically a hardware issue.

- Overheating is the most common cause
- Bad Memory (Run Memtest86 to test memory stability)
- Unstable Overclock
- Bad Power supply.

Worth getting something like HWMonitor to keep an eye on the system.

Occasionally it can be a driver related issue to worth checking that your up-to-date.
Taylor7500

Post by Taylor7500 »

I had suspected something similar and to try address your points:

- Admittedly this computer is a month old but from pushing it through its paces gaming I haven't noticed any issues. That said I do see the fans go full pelt while transcoding and am not sure what else it could be. How would you recommend I test to see if overheating is the issue?

- I shall run memtest and get back to you but if it's faulty memory it's a fault from out of the factory.

- I'm only clocked 50 MHz above factory as the utility included with the mobo recommended as much but I'll happily turn it down to factory speed if you think that's enough to make a difference.

- Pretty sure my PSU is solid though I could be wrong on that. What specifically would I be looking for?

As for drivers, I got the latest NVidia driver through GeForce experience yesterday so admittedly some issue with that could be the cause since Handbrake transcoded with no issues at all before that and now there are issues. Not necessarily saying it's anything but a coincidence though.

I do really appreciate your help though - always a little worrying to have just put a PC together a month ago and suddenly get issues like this.
Woodstock
Veteran User

Post by Woodstock »

Gaming is not pushing the CPU to 100%; if you're using a good GPU, the CPU load can be pretty low. Encoding will use all those spare CPU cycles spilling out onto the motherboard. :)

Make sure you have a CPU temp monitor program running. Your motherboard is probably monitoring things, and what it does when the limits are hit varies. Some turn the CPU off; others back off the clock speed until the temps drop. And some motherboards have the temp limit set at 70C, even though most CPUs can tolerate 85-95C (check your specs).

Case cooling can be an issue, too; a big CPU cooler means nothing if the hot air stays in the case.
Taylor7500

Post by Taylor7500 »

Yup, just watched my CPU temp for an encode. It's meant to start throttling at the threshold of 85 degrees but it hits that and keeps getting hotter anyway. Didn't run it until a full audio/video cutout because I figure those probably aren't healthy for the computer.

Time to see why it doesn't stop or dial back the clock when it hits the limit.
Taylor7500

Post by Taylor7500 »

Figured it out. WIt all stemmed from ASUS' motherboard software wanting to be the final say on my clock speed, so when I wnet to the BIOS to undo the overclock for testing earlier the overclocked speed was immediately reapplied over it. And the clock speed I was on was what that same software thought my current cooling setup could handle.

All sorted and I guess it's time to do the overclock manually.