Handbrake and the bazillion temp files

HandBrake for Windows support
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
Silent_Strider
Enlightened

Handbrake and the bazillion temp files

Post by Silent_Strider »

Description of problem or question:
I pulled a folder with 381 titles inside into the handbrake window.
In my temporary folder of Windows there was a folder created with name hb.7396 (where 7396 was the process ID)
Inside: 22572 files with a total size of 65.2 GB!

These files only get deleted, when Handbrake finishes the encoding of the videos. It seems like Handbrake saves a file for every preview as a file inside. Why?

Besides: the original files only had 3.6GB in size.

Steps to reproduce the problem (If Applicable):
Pull any folder with many files inside into Handbrake and watch the temp folder.

HandBrake version (e.g., 1.0.0):
1.3.2 (2020050300)

Operating system and version (e.g., Ubuntu 16.04 LTS, macOS 10.13 High Sierra, Windows 10 Creators Update):
Windows 10 Pro x64
s55
HandBrake Team

Re: Handbrake and the bazillion temp files

Post by s55 »

It's required for the preview features to work. Beyond the UI display there is some analysis of the source that also occurs so it's not optional.

With high res sources x a large number of sources will cause this as you see. We have a "work in progress" ticket right now to add compression to the temporary files which reduces the storage size by several orders of magnitude. All going well it'll be part of 1.4

I'd also note, you must have your "number of previews" setting set to 60 to generate that number of files. In most cases this is excessive. I'd dial that back down to the default 10 unless your actually having problems with it at 10.
Silent_Strider
Enlightened

Re: Handbrake and the bazillion temp files

Post by Silent_Strider »

Alright, thank you for the information

Case closed :)