Dimensions / Cropping

HandBrake for Windows support
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
adambuzz14
New User

Dimensions / Cropping

Post by adambuzz14 »

Description of problem or question:

Dimensions / Cropping

Steps to reproduce the problem (If Applicable):

n/a

HandBrake version (e.g., 1.0.0):

Operating system and version (e.g., Ubuntu 16.04 LTS, macOS 10.13 High Sierra, Windows 10 Creators Update):

win 10

HandBrake Activity Log ***required*** (see How-to get an activity log)

n/a (not needed for this query

Code: Select all

Please replace this text with the contents of your log file between the two code tags - OR -  provide a pastebin URL in place of these 3 lines.
If you are unable to do so, please state why so we can help you.
Hi guys,new to the forum but been using handbrake for a while to compress VHS rips.

Ive been capturing the VHS tapes in 720p (via Toshiba up scaling VHS player and Startech USB 3 HDMI capture device) and the compressing them in handbrake. for the past few years, i've cropped a few pixes around the edge in the dimensions tab to get rid of the soft edges and over scan from the VHS. After cropping, this would slightly reduce the width and height under the size section, so i have been putting these back up to match the source sizes. After all this time, i'm thinking i may be doing this wrong??

For example, i have a 1280 wide clip, i crop maybe 30 pixels from the total width, then increase the output size back up to 1280 to compensate. IS this going to cause me any adverse effects? as in essence, after cropping, i am re adding pixels that aren't actually there?? My logic for doing this was to keep the files at a standard height and width, rather than having clips that are say 1262x708.

i'm just wondering if this re rendering process will have any negative effects on the clip, or is it not going to be an issue.

As i say, i've done 100s of VHS this way and not noticed any issues, but if it turns out i have been doing this wrong, then i should change my workflow.

thanks