NVENC file sizes in Handbrake 1.3.1

HandBrake for Windows support
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
bionaire

NVENC file sizes in Handbrake 1.3.1

Post by bionaire »

Just upgraded to Handbrake 1.3.1 for Windows (didn't know there was an update until today).

Noticed that when I encode videos using NVENC at Constant Quality 26, the file sizes is nearly double than previously (2 672 kb/s to 4 230 kb/s.
Did the Constant Quality settings change values from Handbrake 1.2.2? I am trying out new possible values from 27 to 30 to see which gives me a comparable file size.

I don't know if this is now a reduced quality with the equivalent file size or equal quality with same file size but with different external values.

If anyone knows, it would be great.

Thank you.
Deleted User 11865

Re: NVENC file sizes in Handbrake 1.3.1

Post by Deleted User 11865 »

Yes, the new version uses a new NVIDIA "Constant Quality" rate control mode, whereas 1.2.x used Constant QP instead.
bionaire

Post by bionaire »

Does it make sense to find another Constant Quality value that give me a similar file size?

I've been re-encoding the same video over and over looking for a similar file size. I think Constant Quality 30 might be the new equivalent. I don't think it makes sense to have a flat 2000 kbps for everything.
Deleted User 11865

Post by Deleted User 11865 »

Yes, it makes sense. Rather than go by the previous file's size, try and find a value that is visually pleasing to you ;)