Subtitle Background missing from some letters

HandBrake for Windows support
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
jaydeep.vayeda

Subtitle Background missing from some letters

Post by jaydeep.vayeda »

Description of problem or question: I am facing an issue where color of background is missing from a select letters. Kindly refer to below link to download the image of issue where letter "t" is missing black background. For other videos the problem persists only with 3 letters in lower case i.e. "t", "i" & "f". I am using .mp4 video and .ssa subtitle files which I converted from .srt file. I am not able to figure out why is this problem persisting. I did a batch processing of 167 files by uploading them in queue and mapping a subtitle file with respective video. I have this issue in 20 odd file only. Rest are fine. I need help to understand why is this happening and how to fix this.

Link to download image: https://1drv.ms/u/s!AqP4sRD0iZyrif1OsCy ... w?e=DIKhdU

HandBrake version: HandBrake Version 1.3.1

Operating system and version: Windows 10 Home Single Language 1903

HandBrake Activity Log: https://pastebin.com/raw/H7D7yRJX.

I request someone to please assist me and guide me about how to get rid of this issue.

Warm Regards,
Jaydeep
Woodstock
Veteran User

Re: Subtitle Background missing from some letters

Post by Woodstock »

[02:43:32] [ass] fontselect: (Calibri, 700, 0) -> Calibri-Bold, 0, Calibri-Bold
The Calibri font that the SSA file requested mapped to Calibri-Bold on your system. Does the SSA file specify a background color around the characters? Usually a transparent background would be used.
jaydeep.vayeda

Post by jaydeep.vayeda »

Hello Woodstock,

So kind of you for prompt reply. I hope you are safe.

While converting .srt to .ssa I selected substation alpha and selected the option of opaque background. So yes SSA file does specify a background and while defining the settings I can see the black background in the preview.

Warm Regards,
Jaydeep
JohnAStebbins
HandBrake Team

Post by JohnAStebbins »

Could you share the ssa file?