NVenc presets slider.

HandBrake for Windows support
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
gendalf

NVenc presets slider.

Post by gendalf »

NVenc presets slider contains "default" on the rightmost part next to "slow" and "high quality" on the leftmost side next to "high performance".
- Is it sorted left to right to be conversion to quality accordingly for each option. In other words does "default" imply the slowest speed but the highest quality, while "high quality" imply the fastest but the worst quality?
the sliders seems to be all over the place.
s55
HandBrake Team

Re: NVenc presets slider.

Post by s55 »

That's Nvidia for you. The presets are black boxes to us. Slow is not necessarily any better or even any different to fast. Default is probably medium or similar but nothing defines this.

Not a lot we can do about it I'm afraid. It's not documented anywhere as far as I'm aware and the encoder gives inconsistent results in tests.
gendalf

Post by gendalf »

Mediacoder's NVenc isn't working for me (or, because it allows incorrect combos of options for some reason - making it not working at all, when some wrong option is selected somewhere); Mediacoder's CUDA produces eye-popping awful quality and the "constant bitrate" isn't actually treated like a constant, but like a "max" instead.
Handbrake's NVenc produces the quality at almost the level of the fastest x264 for the same bitrate, while being much faster, which is nice, but to be useful for the long-term things I'm just trying to squeeze more quality out of it for the constant bitrate, idk if there's a better preset for NVenc, than its "slow" preset.
gendalf

Post by gendalf »

can I not nvenc encode H265 on a Kepler gpu?
tlindgren
Bright Spark User

Post by tlindgren »

gendalf wrote: Sun Apr 05, 2020 2:07 am can I not nvenc encode H265 on a Kepler gpu?
No, as the Nvidia encoder support matrix shows you need at least Maxwell 2nd gen for even the most basic h.265 encoding support (2 generations newer than Kepler) and even then it's not very useful. Pascal/Volta NVEnc adds more variants but is still not very good.

When people are praising the NVEnc encoder they're talking about the latest Turing graphics cards (16xx/20xx) since the big uplift came with the Turing NVenc. Note that the smallest Turing cards (1650) isn't included, it still has the much inferior Volta encoder.

https://developer.nvidia.com/video-enco ... ort-matrix