Problem with video encoding on AMD 3400G

HandBrake for Windows support
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
lordjim

Problem with video encoding on AMD 3400G

Post by lordjim »

Hi,

I'm having strange problems while encoding videos on my newly build setup.
I'm using a Ryzen 5 3400G 4C/8T Vega 11 Graphics on Aorus Elite B450, 16GB of DDR4 3200MHz RAM.
Fresh Build.

1. The first problem is that output videos are choppy and laggy.
2. The second problem is that AMD VCE transcoding is actually slower by about 50% when using only the CPU.

In order to reproduce first problem You need to take an TS or an MP4 video and try to transcode it using following sets of settings:

1. Summary - Web Optimized / Align A/V Start
2. Dimensions - everything default
3. Filters - everything off
4. Video - Video Codec H.264 (AMD VCE) or H.264 (x264), Framrate: same as source, Constant Framerate, Quality: Constant Quality 28, Encoder Preset: Balanced, Encoder Profile: High, Encoder Level: 4.1
5. Audio AAC (avcodec) bitrate 224
6. Subtitles: everything default
7. Chapters: everything default

I've tried different videos as input but the problem still occurs.
If anyone can help I would be gratefull.

I'm using HandBrake Version 1.3.1

Windows 10 1909, Fresh Install, Drivers and Handbrake Only.

Activiy log

https://pastebin.com/d6yQpfBJ
BradleyS

Re: Problem with video encoding on AMD 3400G

Post by BradleyS »

Unfortunately, this is common for transport streams, especially broadcast recordings. Some people have had good luck using VideoReDo's quick stream fix before encoding with HandBrake.
lordjim

Re: Problem with video encoding on AMD 3400G

Post by lordjim »

BradleyS wrote: Wed Jan 29, 2020 7:15 am Unfortunately, this is common for transport streams, especially broadcast recordings. Some people have had good luck using VideoReDo's quick stream fix before encoding with HandBrake.
Ok. I've used a different set of TS files from a different set-top-box. Those seem to be working fine.
Thanks for the update because it made looking for the culprit much easier.

The second problem is no longer relevant. After clean installing the newest optional display driver from AMD the AMD VCE transcoding is faster or equal to the level of the CPU.

Still the performance is about 50% slower then Intel Sandy Bridge QuickSync. That's propably thanks to the newest driver that in comparison to the older one works correctly with HandBrake (does not brake during encoding) but is about 50% slower then the old one.

I've tested so far two drivers (while transcoding a 1920x1080@25 TS file):
1. Adrenalin 2020 Edition 19.12.2 Recommended (WHQL) (encoding stops with an error, but while it's working it is quite fast about 120 frames/second)
2. Adrenalin 2020 Edition 20.1.4 Optional (encoding works correctly but is slower then 19.12.2 by a factor of 2, about 60 frames/second)

I'm leaving this information for anyone having simmilar issues like me.