Suggested aspect ratio incorrect for letterbox movies?

HandBrake for Windows support
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
sljwm

Suggested aspect ratio incorrect for letterbox movies?

Post by sljwm »

I've tried converting some letterbox format movies to play on my PDA, but the suggested dimensions result in video that is vertically squished by a small but noticable amount. Is there some kind of magic that I need to pull to get the video to not look squished?

Thanks for the help!
daman123x
Novice

Post by daman123x »

depends on your device and how it reads files. first suggestion would be to try an autocrop with anamorphic PAR disabled. if you are forcing an EXACT resolution (eg 480x320) because the device demands that resolution for a movie that does not exactly meet that ratio, the picture WILL be squished. in this case, calculate and force (horizontal) cropping so that the output aspect matches the device. vertical cropping will only be used to remove the black bars (if present) and horiz cropping will actually cut picture

it is unlikely that the device will force a resolution, you should try forcing the horizontal resolution only and use autocrop.