Can Handbrake add an audio delay when re-encoding?

HandBrake for Windows support
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
FeMaster

Can Handbrake add an audio delay when re-encoding?

Post by FeMaster »

Description of problem or question:

I have an AVI video file that the audio is exactly 0.45 seconds faster than the video (found time through experimenting with audio delay in VLC during playback). I'm trying to re-encode the AVI into an MP4 video file, and add a 0.45 second delay to the audio track so that when it's re-encoded everything is in sync. I've done a 30 second preview encode of the file, both with Align A/V Start selected and deselected, and it didn't seem to make a difference in the output.

Steps to reproduce the problem (If Applicable):

N/A

HandBrake version (e.g., 1.0.0):

V1.3.0

Operating system and version (e.g., Ubuntu 16.04 LTS, macOS 10.13 High Sierra, Windows 10 Creators Update):

Windows 10 (1903)

HandBrake Activity Log ***required*** (see How-to get an activity log)

N/A
Deleted User 11865

Re: Can Handbrake add an audio delay when re-encoding?

Post by Deleted User 11865 »

Nope, HandBrake cannot do that.
FeMaster

Post by FeMaster »

Thanks for the reply. Do you happen to know of anything that might be able to do A/V sync (free preferably) before I do the re-encoding? Guessing I'm looking at software purchase, in which case I'll probably just get another version of the file instead.
FeMaster

Post by FeMaster »

I'd like to offer a HUGE thank you for that. I'd never heard of this software before, and I can say that it worked perfectly. Definitely going to experiment with it some more and see what else it can do. Adding the delay was extremely easy, and it was FAST! Took me about 2 minutes to figure out how to add the delay to the audio track, and it converted the video in less than 3 seconds! Very happy!
Deleted User 11865

Post by Deleted User 11865 »

Well it doesn't technically convert the video, which is why it's fast… it just takes it from an AVI container to a Matroska container.
Deleted User 13735

Post by Deleted User 13735 »

The AVI 42ms desync in Handbrake is a legacy issue that has never been addressed, to my knowledge.

Discussed in detail here https://www.vegascreativesoftware.info/ ... 94/?page=1

Reported in 2012 and subsequently
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AhsiQfEfpA0&t=32s