HandBrake will not launch. "Unable to load user settings file."

HandBrake for Windows support
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
ShadowGuardian

HandBrake will not launch. "Unable to load user settings file."

Post by ShadowGuardian »

Description of problem or question:
I have been trying to launch HandBrake but it simply won't and I have no idea why. I keep getting the same error every single time, and this just randomly started. It worked perfectly fine a couple months ago. I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling multiple times, even ensuring every file related to HandBrake is removed before reinstalling. I have tried doing what the error suggested and deleting the "json" file. I've tried launching as an admin. I've updated drivers to see if that would somehow help. I'm at a complete loss and haven't been able to find any sort of solution online. Please help me!

Steps to reproduce the problem (If Applicable):
To reproduce the problem just try launching HandBrake, and if you're me you'll get an error box that opens and the program will not launch.

HandBrake version (e.g., 1.0.0):
HandBrake 1.2.2; the latest.

Operating system and version (e.g., Ubuntu 16.04 LTS, macOS 10.13 High Sierra, Windows 10 Creators Update):
Windows 10 Home Version #1809

Here is the error message I get:
Unable to load user settings file: C:\Users\<user>\AppData\Roaming\HandBrake\settings.json
Unable to load user settings file: C:\Users\<user>\AppData\Roaming\HandBrake\settings.json
Your user settings file appears to be inaccessible or corrupted. You may have to delete the file and let HandBrake generate a new one.
System.TypeInitializationException: The type initializer for 'Newtonsoft.Json.Utilities.ConvertUtils' threw an exception. ---> System.IO.FileNotFoundException: Could not load file or assembly 'System.Numerics, Version=4.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089' or one of its dependencies. The system cannot find the file specified.
at Newtonsoft.Json.Utilities.ConvertUtils..cctor()
--- End of inner exception stack trace ---
at Newtonsoft.Json.Utilities.ConvertUtils.GetTypeCode(Type t, Boolean& isEnum)
at Newtonsoft.Json.Utilities.EnumUtils.ToUInt64(Object value)
at Newtonsoft.Json.Utilities.EnumUtils.InitializeValuesAndNames(Type enumType)
at System.Collections.Concurrent.ConcurrentDictionary`2.GetOrAdd(TKey key, Func`2 valueFactory)
at Newtonsoft.Json.JsonWriter.BuildStateArray()
at Newtonsoft.Json.JsonWriter..cctor()