Handbrake damaging laptop

HandBrake for Windows support
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
Ahrigato500

Handbrake damaging laptop

Post by Ahrigato500 »

Hello. Just a quick question. I have a Lenovo Ideapad s340 with the specs:

Intel Core i5-8265U CPU @ 1.60 GHz
8 gb memory (RAM)

Will my laptop get damaged over time by using handbrake to encode some TS videos to mp4 format. I am gonna do it a couple of times a week for a few hours.
rollin_eng
Veteran User

Re: Handbrake damaging laptop

Post by rollin_eng »

No it won’t.
Woodstock
Veteran User

Post by Woodstock »

Assuming the cooling on the laptop is adequate, and you have not disabled "shut down on overtemp". Generally, laptops will shut down or slow down if you exceed the cooling limits. Most are only cooled adequately for short bursts of 100% CPU use, though.

That CPU has QuickSync Video capability; if you restrict your encoding to using QSV (and accept the difference in size and quality), it should have no issue with encoding.
Ahrigato500

Post by Ahrigato500 »

Is it a plugin you have to download or? I can't see it in my software
ChocolateIsBaby

Post by ChocolateIsBaby »

As long as your laptop doesn't overheat, you should be good. Try putting it in a place with good airflow and make sure the cooling vents aren't blocked. You can also try placing it on the floor if it's cold :P
Woodstock
Veteran User

Post by Woodstock »

QSV hardware is part of the CPU you listed. You need a video driver that supports it to use it in handbrake; there have been a number of BROKEN Intel drivers for laptops (especially OEM versions), though, which break parts of the QSV process.

The logs from a handbrake encode will list your available hardware and drivers.
mduell
Veteran User

Post by mduell »

Woodstock wrote: Sat Oct 05, 2019 8:46 pmThe logs from a handbrake encode will list your available hardware and drivers.
Huh we should write that out somewhere unmissable in the forum.