NOTICE: Read Me if HandBrake won't start

HandBrake for Windows support
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
s55
HandBrake Team

NOTICE: Read Me if HandBrake won't start

Post by s55 »

Problem

HandBrake won't start or throws an exception error when launching and won't run.

Steps to Take:

1. Reset HandBrake back to defaults (Removes all Settings, Presets, Queue)
    First backup, then delete all files from %appdata%\HandBrake (You can try restoring these later if it starts working.)
  2. Download the "Safe Mode" version of the HandBrake Nightly from: https://handbrake.fr/nightly.php (Note "SafeMode" part of the filename).
    This build has all hardware encoders (Intel QuickSync, AMD VCE and Nvidia NVENC) disabled.
  3. If the "SafeMode" version works, please copy the activity log after starting the application and post it in this thread.
    It should appear as the example below.
  4. If that doesn't work, Make sure you don't have any software such as MSI AfterBurner, RivaTuner, Overclocking tools, Screen capture tools currently running in the background.
    If you find a particular tool that conflicts with HandBrake, please report it!
  5. Finally, if the above did not work, make sure your GPU drivers are up-to-date from Intel, AMD or Nvidia's own website. You can try the your OEM site first but these drivers are commonly problematic / out-of-date so your mileage may vary.
    Avoid driver updates though Windows Update or "Update Assistant" tools if you can.
    Note, While driver updates usually don't cause issues, they can sometimes can so please take a backup of your system first!

Activity Log Example wrote:HandBrake Nightly 20190722230814-c16151f-master (2019072401)
CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-8700K CPU @ 3.70GHz
Ram: 65357 MB,
GPU Information:
Intel(R) UHD Graphics 630 - 26.20.100.6912
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB - 25.21.14.1881
Screen: 2560x1440
Temp Dir: F:\Cache\UserTemp\
Install Dir: C:\Program Files\HandBrake Nightly
Data Dir: C:\Users\Iser\AppData\Roaming\HandBrake\Nightly

-------------------------------------------
Last edited by s55 on Sat Aug 17, 2019 10:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
markfilipak
Bright Spark User

Re: NOTICE: Read Me if HandBrake won't start

Post by markfilipak »

s55 wrote: Wed Jul 24, 2019 8:16 pm... Make sure your GPU drivers are up-to-date from Intel, AMD or Nvidia's own website.
That is unwise advice. Drivers should always be downloaded from the computer (or video card) manufacturer's web site, not from a chip manufacturer's web site. Case in point:
My laptop has Intel HD Graphics and NVIDIA GeForce 980M. It uses a technology named "Optimus" (though that name is not revealed to ordinary users). If I download NVIDIA drivers for the 980M, or if I allow the NVIDIA drivers to update, Optimus breaks. That causes Windows to load a generic video driver.
s55
HandBrake Team

Post by s55 »

Your OEM Nividia drivers, are from Nvidia so there should be no issue there. As always, there is a risk of problems with driver updates, but given the trend for OEMs providing out-of-date, broken, or stripped down drivers i'd always go towards the primary vendor as a first call, and only fallback to OEM as a last resort.

There are a few cases where OEMs are installing software on machines to prevent driver updates, and in those cases there may never be a solution provided
markfilipak
Bright Spark User

Post by markfilipak »

s55 wrote: Sat Aug 17, 2019 9:40 pm Your OEM Nividia drivers, are from Nvidia so there should be no issue there.
You are innocently unaware, but there are serious issues there. The GeForce980M updated drivers from the NVIDIA web site break Optimus. Allowing the NVIDIA control panel to update the drivers breaks Optimus. That the OEM drivers are from NVIDIA should not (must not) imply that subsequently downloading updated drivers for that model of NVIDIA (GeForce 980M, in this case) is okay. It's not okay. NVIDIA does not take into account that the chip may be in an Optimus environment. Their updated GeForce 980M drivers are incompatible. I know, I know, Intel & NVIDIA worked out Optimus, but NIVIDIA is not conforming when updates are made (whether by download+install or by update utility). It is a really f**ked up situtation and NVIDIA is being very irresponsible. My point: One-size-fits-all advice can be dangerous.
As always, there is a risk of problems with driver updates, but given the trend for OEMs providing out-of-date, broken, or stripped down drivers i'd always go towards the primary vendor as a first call, and only fallback to OEM as a last resort.
The primary vendor must be the computer (or video card) manufacturer. If they are f**king up, they need to know it.

Updating video drivers from chip manufacturers (rather than from computer manufacturers) can destroy a computer. You read me right. In NVIDIA's case, NVIDIA includes overclockers that can (and have) destroyed computers (and voided warranties).
s55
HandBrake Team

Post by s55 »

The primary vendor must be the computer (or video card) manufacturer. If they are f**king up, they need to know it.
They know, they don't care and currently have no reason to care. They have your money.
markfilipak
Bright Spark User

Post by markfilipak »

s55 wrote: Sat Aug 17, 2019 10:23 pm
They know, they don't care and currently have no reason to care. They have your money.
I feel your pain. But they (the computer or card manufacturer) don't know. It's the contract customer service company that doesn't care. You're not their customer, the manufacturer is. And the manufacturer is unlikely to discover that the contractor is f**king up unless you tell them. All of the preceeding and more applies to the contract repair facility. They get paid once. If you have to return a unit again, they eat the time spent.
markfilipak
Bright Spark User

Post by markfilipak »

Of course, the contract repair facility tries everything to keep you from returning a previously repaired warranty unit. But they have this factored in. They simply refresh the factory settings on the 1st return because that usually fixes the problem. If there is a real hardware/driver problem, you should send it back ASAP.
davidjay43
New User

Post by davidjay43 »

I can't get HandBrake to start but the Safe Mode version works fine. I have uninstalled the software, deleted the AppData files and reinstalled but I get the same results. Handbrake won't even generate an activity log but this is the details from an error screen that pops up when I try to start the software.

Code: Select all

An Unknown Error has occurred.
System.Reflection.TargetInvocationException: Exception has been thrown by the target of an invocation. ---> System.TypeInitializationException: The type initializer for 'HandBrake.Interop.Interop.HandBrakeUtils' threw an exception. ---> System.AccessViolationException: Attempted to read or write protected memory. This is often an indication that other memory is corrupt.
   at HandBrake.Interop.Interop.HbLib.HBFunctions.hb_global_init()
   at HandBrake.Interop.Interop.HandBrakeUtils.TryInit() in D:\Development\HandBrake\handbrake-release\win\CS\HandBrake.Interop\Interop\HandBrakeUtils.cs:line 97
   at HandBrake.Interop.Interop.HandBrakeUtils..cctor() in D:\Development\HandBrake\handbrake-release\win\CS\HandBrake.Interop\Interop\HandBrakeUtils.cs:line 68
   --- End of inner exception stack trace ---
   at HandBrake.Interop.Interop.HandBrakeUtils.add_MessageLogged(EventHandler`1 value)
   at HandBrakeWPF.Services.Logging.LogService..ctor() in D:\Development\HandBrake\handbrake-release\win\CS\HandBrakeWPF\Services\Logging\LogService.cs:line 57
   at HandBrakeWPF.Services.Logging.LogService.GetLogger() in D:\Development\HandBrake\handbrake-release\win\CS\HandBrakeWPF\Services\Logging\LogService.cs:line 158
   at HandBrakeWPF.Services.Scan.LibScan..ctor() in D:\Development\HandBrake\handbrake-release\win\CS\HandBrakeWPF\Services\Scan\LibScan.cs:line 47
   --- End of inner exception stack trace ---
   at System.RuntimeTypeHandle.CreateInstance(RuntimeType type, Boolean publicOnly, Boolean noCheck, Boolean& canBeCached, RuntimeMethodHandleInternal& ctor, Boolean& bNeedSecurityCheck)
   at System.RuntimeType.CreateInstanceSlow(Boolean publicOnly, Boolean skipCheckThis, Boolean fillCache, StackCrawlMark& stackMark)
   at System.Activator.CreateInstance(Type type, Boolean nonPublic)
   at System.Activator.CreateInstance(Type type)
   at Caliburn.Micro.SimpleContainer.ActivateInstance(Type type, Object[] args)
   at Caliburn.Micro.SimpleContainer.<>c__DisplayClass7_0.<RegisterSingleton>b__0(SimpleContainer container)
   at System.Linq.Enumerable.WhereSelectArrayIterator`2.MoveNext()
   at System.Collections.Generic.List`1.InsertRange(Int32 index, IEnumerable`1 collection)
   at Caliburn.Micro.SimpleContainer.DetermineConstructorArgs(Type implementation)
   at Caliburn.Micro.SimpleContainer.<>c__DisplayClass7_0.<RegisterSingleton>b__0(SimpleContainer container)
   at System.Linq.Enumerable.WhereSelectArrayIterator`2.MoveNext()
   at System.Collections.Generic.List`1.InsertRange(Int32 index, IEnumerable`1 collection)
   at Caliburn.Micro.SimpleContainer.DetermineConstructorArgs(Type implementation)
   at HandBrakeWPF.Startup.AppBootstrapper.GetInstance(Type service, String key) in D:\Development\HandBrake\handbrake-release\win\CS\HandBrakeWPF\Startup\AppBootstrapper.cs:line 130
   at Caliburn.Micro.BootstrapperBase.DisplayRootViewFor(Type viewModelType, IDictionary`2 settings)
   at HandBrakeWPF.Startup.AppBootstrapper.OnStartup(Object sender, StartupEventArgs e) in D:\Development\HandBrake\handbrake-release\win\CS\HandBrakeWPF\Startup\AppBootstrapper.cs:line 113
   at System.Windows.Application.OnStartup(StartupEventArgs e)
   at HandBrakeWPF.App.OnStartup(StartupEventArgs e) in D:\Development\HandBrake\handbrake-release\win\CS\HandBrakeWPF\App.xaml.cs:line 121
   at System.Windows.Application.<.ctor>b__1_0(Object unused)
   at System.Windows.Threading.ExceptionWrapper.InternalRealCall(Delegate callback, Object args, Int32 numArgs)
   at System.Windows.Threading.ExceptionWrapper.TryCatchWhen(Object source, Delegate callback, Object args, Int32 numArgs, Delegate catchHandler)
s55
HandBrake Team

Post by s55 »

@davidjay43 -> Can you please post a log header from the working version.
barcar
New User

Post by barcar »

Handbrake won't start on the new surface pro x. I have the latest version (1.3.0). Is there an add-in or different version for tablet types?
s55
HandBrake Team

Post by s55 »

We don't provide ARM builds of HandBrake, so you won't be able to run HandBrake under the Surface Pro X.

The SPX is below the system-requirements for HandBrake anyway. It's a low-power tablet device. Not really suitable for any high power loads like HandBrake.
piacentini

Post by piacentini »

s55: we are interested in helping with the development work needed to port Handbrake to ARM64 on Windows. Already worked a bit in porting ffmpeg and other components to it. I could not reach you via freenode or DM here, please let me know how to reach you or other members of the team about this or let me know the best way to contact you about this effort. Thanks!
s55
HandBrake Team

Post by s55 »

I'm around on freenode on IRC (#handbrake)
Phoenix_reborn
New User

Post by Phoenix_reborn »

Hello,

I had the problem and found the solution (for my case) that I wanted to share:

I just did a fresh install of Windows 10, all the updates and some programs.
I have the same problem and with the SafeMod, I can launch HandBrake.

HandBrake Nightly 20200208000218-db633f7-master (2020020801)
CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4790K CPU @ 4.00GHz
Ram: 32708 MB, 
GPU Information:
  NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER - 26.21.14.4219
Screen: 1920x1080
Temp Dir: C:\Users\phoen\AppData\Local\Temp\
Install Dir: C:\Users\phoen\Desktop\HandBrake-20200208-db633f77e_x86_64-SafeMode-Win_GUI
Data Dir: C:\Users\phoen\AppData\Roaming\HandBrake\Nightly
Looking at this, I can see that my Intel IGP does not appear. I seem to have disabled it.

So I reactivated my IGP in the BIOS :

GPU Information:
  Intel(R) HD Graphics 4600 - 20.19.15.4531
It appears now, but it only works with the safemod.
So I looked to update the Intel drivers, reboot, and then HandBrake worked! :)

Then I wanted to go back to the original situation. I disabled the IGP in the BIOS, and you don't see the IGP appear in the device manager or in HandBrake anymore and it still works! :)

GPU Information:
-------------------------------------------
[23:31:16] Compile-time hardening features are enabled
[23:31:16] Nvenc version 9.1
I guess even if not used and disabled, it needed the drivers to be up to date.
kakarrot62
New User

Post by kakarrot62 »

i have tried everyting above including the nightly version. none work. i click to start it and i get the spinner and then it just dies. no logs. please help!
kakarrot62
New User

Post by kakarrot62 »

as i stated there is no logs but in the event viewer i found this for handbrake:
Application: HandBrake.exe
Framework Version: v4.0.30319
Description: The process was terminated due to an unhandled exception.
Exception Info: exception code c0000006, exception address 00007FF886BA060F

and this for handbrake nightly:
Faulting application name: HandBrake.exe, version: 1.4.0.0, time stamp: 0x903044fe
Faulting module name: ntdll.dll, version: 10.0.18362.657, time stamp: 0x64d10ee0
Exception code: 0xc0000006
Fault offset: 0x000000000002060f
Faulting process id: 0x1324
Faulting application start time: 0x01d5f561bbdc601f
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files\HandBrake Nightly\HandBrake.exe
Faulting module path: C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\ntdll.dll
Report Id: bf041422-9de8-4429-b0ee-905270da66a9
Faulting package full name:
Faulting package-relative application ID:
isidroco
New User

Post by isidroco »

On x86 windows HandBrake gives an error. It's not crystal clear system requirements on site or readme. And filename:
HandBrake-1.3.3-x86_64-Win_GUI.exe is totally misleading with x86 on it's name. Please remove x86 from name, given that it's not supported anymore.
Ritsuka
HandBrake Team

Post by Ritsuka »

"x86_64" is not x86 ;)
Deleted User 11865

Post by Deleted User 11865 »

x86-64 is correct for 64-bit x86.
BradleyS

Post by BradleyS »

Perhaps the confusion comes from x64 also being used to denote 64-bit x86, usually on Microsoft platforms. Nevertheless, x86-64 is an appropriate designation.
Deleted User 11865

x64 is really Itanium :P
mduell
Veteran User

Post by mduell »

No, ia64 is Itanium.
BradleyS

Post by BradleyS »

I mean, if you want to be really specific... https://software.intel.com/content/www/ ... embly.html
Deleted User 11865

I blame Microsoft.
michaelsween
New User

Handbrake unresponsive

Post by michaelsween »

I recently had my ASUS laptop returned after having had a new and bigger internal hard drive installed. And I have download all my previous programs back on it again. I am having a problem opening the Handbrake program, (as along with three other programs - same problem). It is unresponsive. Nothing moves or happens. It is not being recognized. Am I right in thinking that the system for the 'Drivers' have been removed, are not there, and so am unable to open the program?
How to install the Driver software on to my laptop again, Windows 10 Pro, 64 Bit operating system x 64 based processor. Intel R Core TM i5-4200H CPU @ 2.80GHz 2.80 GHz
Any advice anyone. Thank you very much. Mike