HandBrake won't start or throws an exception error when launching and won't run.
Steps to Take:
- Reset HandBrake back to defaults (Removes all Settings, Presets, Queue)
First backup, then delete all files from %appdata%\HandBrake (You can try restoring these later if it starts working.)
- Download the "Safe Mode" version of the HandBrake Nightly from: https://handbrake.fr/nightly.php (Note "SafeMode" part of the filename).
This build has all hardware encoders (Intel QuickSync, AMD VCE and Nvidia NVENC) disabled.
- If the "SafeMode" version works, please copy the activity log after starting the application and post it in this thread.
It should appear as the example below.
- If that doesn't work, Make sure you don't have any software such as MSI AfterBurner, RivaTuner, Overclocking tools, Screen capture tools currently running in the background.
If you find a particular tool that conflicts with HandBrake, please report it!
- Finally, if the above did not work, make sure your GPU drivers are up-to-date from Intel, AMD or Nvidia's own website. You can try the your OEM site first but these drivers are commonly problematic / out-of-date so your mileage may vary.
Avoid driver updates though Windows Update or "Update Assistant" tools if you can.
Note, While driver updates usually don't cause issues, they can sometimes can so please take a backup of your system first!
Activity Log Example wrote:HandBrake Nightly 20190722230814-c16151f-master (2019072401)
OS: Microsoft Windows NT 10.0.18362.0
CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-8700K CPU @ 3.70GHz
Ram: 65357 MB,
Intel(R) UHD Graphics 630 - 126.96.36.19912
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB - 188.8.131.521
Temp Dir: F:\Cache\UserTemp\
Install Dir: C:\Program Files\HandBrake Nightly
Data Dir: C:\Users\Iser\AppData\Roaming\HandBrake\Nightly