OT: How to get properties

HandBrake for Windows support
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
andrewk89
Novice

OT: How to get properties

Post by andrewk89 »

Yes, I know this is off topic (but tangentially related)...

I'm running out of hard drive space. To help me limp along until I buy more storage, I want to find candidate videos that could get highest file size reduction from transcoding. Videos using older codecs or low compression are obvious candidates,but how to find these videos automagically so I don't have to inspect each one to make a yes/no decision ...

My first attempt was dragging a folder into MediaInfo and switching to Spreadsheet view. Show the file size, resolution, frame rate, video CODEC, bits/pixel/frame (interesting metric), audio codec, etc. I exported it and imported it into LO Calc and ran in to two problems: 1) MediaInfo exported EVERYTHING, not just the columns I had visible; 2) Columns were jumbled. I think it may be because of punctuation in the file name and other fields. This isn't useful without a lot of data cleanup.

Is there an easier way to skin this cat with ffmpeg, grep (via MingW, MSYS, etc.), or other methods?
BradleyS

Re: OT: How to get properties

Post by BradleyS »

Code: Select all

du -s *.mp4 **/*.mp4 2>/dev/null | sort -nr
Replace the two .mp4 with your choice or .* to search all file types:

du -s *.* **/*.* 2>/dev/null | sort -nr
This only shows total file size but should be useful for identifying large files (listed first) for further analysis.
JohnAStebbins
HandBrake Team

Post by JohnAStebbins »

mediainfo can also be used to query individual properties with it's '--Inform' option (at least the linux version of mediainfo can do this)
e.g.

$ mediainfo --Inform=Video\;%CodecID% test.mkv
V_MPEG4/ISO/AVC
Syntax of the command line will differ somewhat since you are on windows. Above is what is required for linux (i.e. '\' to escape the ';').

However the output when using filename wildcards is stupid :cry:

$ mediainfo --Inform=Video\;%CodecID% *.mkv
V_MPEG4/ISO/AVCV_MPEG4/ISO/AVCV_MPEG4/ISO/AVCV_MPEG4/ISO/AVCV_MPEG4/ISO/AVCV_MPEG4/ISO/AVCV_MPEG4/ISO/AVCV_MPEG4/ISO/AVCV_MPEG4/ISO/AVCV_MPEG4/ISO/AVCV_MPEG4/ISO/AVCV_MPEG4/ISO/AVCV_MPEG4/ISO/AVCV_MPEG4/ISO/AVCV_MPEG4/ISO/AVCV_MPEGH/ISO/HEVCV_THEORAV_MPEG4/ISO/AVCV_MPEG4/ISO/AVCV_MPEG4/ISO/AVCV_MPEG4/ISO/AVCV_MPEG4/ISO/AVCV_MPEG4/ISO/AVCV_MPEG4/ISO/AVCV_MPEG4/ISO/AVCV_MPEG4/ISO/AVCV_MPEG4/ISO/AVCV_MPEG4/ISO/AVCV_MPEG4/ISO/AVCV_MPEG4/ISO/AVCV_MPEG4/ISO/AVCV_MPEG4/ISO/AVCV_MPEG4/ISO/AVCV_MPEG4/ISO/AVCV_MPEG4/ISO/AVCV_MPEGH/ISO/HEVCV_MPEG4/ISO/AVCV_MPEGH/ISO/HEVCV_MPEG4/ISO/AVCV_MPEG4/ISO/AVCV_MPEG4/ISO/AVCV_MPEG4/ISO/AVCV_MPEG4/ISO/AVCV_MPEG4/ISO/AVCV_MPEG4/ISO/AVCV_MPEG4/ISO/AVCV_MPEG4/ISO/AVC
mduell
Veteran User

Post by mduell »

JohnAStebbins wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2019 6:39 pmHowever the output when using filename wildcards is stupid :cry:
Seems like you'd be better off with grep than --Inform