Interest in an alternative Windows GUI?

HandBrake for Windows support
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
Twyst

Interest in an alternative Windows GUI?

Post by Twyst »

Hey all... loved handbrake when I had a mac. Sadly, I was forced to sell it. Have enjoyed the HBTest CLI, and just discovered the MediaForkCLI. Neat!

Always been a big proponent of CLI - goes with the sysadmin territory. Recently, I've been developing a lot of batch job development tools for file management for my organization, when not teaching. Anyway, started thinking about building up a quick interface for the MediaForkCli for myself, did some initial testing, and about 3/4 through a VB.Net GUI... I don't do any C++ dev, just lots and lots of VB.

So - at this point, over 2 days of geeking, I have the underlying code and I realize I almost have a functional app. It is a wrapper for the CLI - runs it, pipes the output to things I read and parse through VB to provide title selection, etc. I have one thing that I'm sort of proud of... I can point to a folder of iso files. I provide a minimum time threshold - 5 mins, say. This iterates the folder, identifies all the isos, does a -t 0, and then parses that output to identify titles over the threshold. Then adds them to a checkbox list. I check the ones I want, enter parameters for size and bitrate, and it runs a batch job behind the scenes.

I'm tweaking lots of stuff, but I wondered - would this be of interest to the windows users, or you all? If I get it stable, was considering calling it MediaFork Drawer or something if you all approved. Would need to provide info about the original devs, it would be OSS, etc.

One of my biggest holdbacks is the picture info. Is there a way or could I request a feature to identify a frame in either HH:MM:SS:F form or maybe milliseconds, and have MFCLI output a jpeg/png/whatever image? Was toying with that idea in the building of the size resolution popup.

Twy
s55
HandBrake Team

Post by s55 »

http://handbrake.m0k.org

Windows GUI

We are currently working on a dll which we can use with the windows gui instead of using the hbtest binary. If / When this is working it'll allow for some vast improvements to the current GUI.

I'd be interested in seeing if there is any code we could integrate into the current GUI if your willing to work with me? I've done much the same as you have but i'm a tad further along. Currently re-writing it after a total loss of code due to backup failure but i'm not far from finish up to the level the GUI is currently at.

I assume your using vb.net (2003/5) ?

Would be really great getting some help with it.
One of my biggest holdbacks is the picture info. Is there a way or could I request a feature to identify a frame in either HH:MM:SS:F form or maybe milliseconds, and have MFCLI output a jpeg/png/whatever image? Was toying with that idea in the building of the size resolution popup.
I was actually thinking about implimenting a quick option in the GUI to grab an image that i could use with my own GUI. havn't quite worked out how to do that yet though. Will get there eventually.

Just for interest. 11200 Downloads of the windows GUI since the start of the year. Its really taken off.
Last edited by s55 on Fri Apr 06, 2007 12:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.
phatty033

Post by phatty033 »

do you kno whennn you will have the windows GUI? or atleast an estimate?? please ive been waitin for it!!
s55
HandBrake Team

Post by s55 »

Windows GUI has been out for 4~5 Months now ;)

will be updated for version 0.8.0 handbrake within the next few weeks at most.
Last edited by s55 on Fri Apr 06, 2007 12:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Twyst

MMM, DLL

Post by Twyst »

Sure, give me a few days to get the pieces together and I'll show you what I have... currently in VB 2003 since it's easier to develop at work and school - a place I teach insists on using that still, but I have access to 2005.

The DLL would be sweet... as I mentioned, mine feels quite cludgy running the exe as a shell object and piping the output...

Curious to see the specific settings you all are proposing for the quick settings for ipod/psp as well.

Darnit, now I gotta go clean up the temp variables I ended up not using or I'll be embarassed as heck! :)

Twy
s55
HandBrake Team

Post by s55 »

Don't worry 2 much about it. Mine was coded on the quick too allthough i've since cleaned it up alot :/.
phatty033

Post by phatty033 »

sr55 wrote:Windows GUI has been out for 4~5 Months now ;)
will be updated for version 0.8.0 handbrake within the next few weeks at most.
i mean with the updated mediafork..and for some reason i cannot get that windows GUI on that site to work..
s55
HandBrake Team

Post by s55 »

What error do you get phatty033?

The update for the new Mediafork/handbrake 0.8.0 is coming very soon.

I've been held up releaseing an update due to the fact that my backup failed during a system rebuild so its been re-written from the ground up. I'll be releasing beta 1 with mediafork 0.8.0 beta 1 in the next few days.
phatty033

Post by phatty033 »

when i select view data under select dvd title it says it cannot be read for files that are backed up for my computer but for actual DVDs in the drive it works..however when i go to convert it it says it will start converting my file and then nothing...oh and the update that you are talkin about that is comin out in a couple of days is the windows one right?? kuuuz if so..ur my hero!

EDIT:ok so i figured out why it would not convert..its because i have 2 pass checked and when i uncheck it, it works..but i want 2 pass so that the quality is better..do you kno why this is..and if the updated version will have this problem fixed?? Thanks
s55
HandBrake Team

Post by s55 »

2 Pass was always dodgy in 0.7.0 of Handbrake

I havn't actually tested it under 0.8.0 myself. You could always ask in the support forum. I'd be surprised if it didn't work a bit better now since alot has changed.

Meh, I think i might consider steping my version system back in line with handbrake itself to try and avoid confusion.
phatty033

Post by phatty033 »

what do you mean steping your version back?..anyways i converted it and the output file the quality wasn't that great at all and it was inferior to the exact same one i encoded with super under the exact same settings..i thought this would give me better results but maybe i was expecting too much? or maybe im doing something wrong?..hopefully its better with the new version comin out
Leo
Bright Spark User

Post by Leo »

phatty033 wrote:inferior to the exact same one i encoded with super under the exact same settings
what is "super"? What are the exact settings you are using? MediaFork uses the new versions of x264 etc so there should be some quality improvements compared to HandBrake 0.7. If you are using the -q setting then you could be using CRF on the newer encoder, when the old one supports only CQP which isn't as good, although a still btter than single pass constant bitrate. The new --crf option in MF 0.8.0b1 is sweet (the main advantage for me).
s55
HandBrake Team

Post by s55 »

what do you mean steping your version back?
All i meant was there is 2 version systems at play.

Version 2.0 For the GUI and 0.8.0b1 for the handbrake itself. I'm just thinking maybe I should stick with MF/HB version Numbering
phatty033

Post by phatty033 »

oh super is just this encoding program..and i dunno i think the version im using is pretty old..im guessing its the old handbrake gui for windows so that might be why..maybe ill just wait for the when the new window gui comes out..