HE-AAC Audio Missing on Latest Version

HandBrake for Windows support
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
Daringbaaz

HE-AAC Audio Missing on Latest Version

Post by Daringbaaz »

Description of problem or question:

HE-AAC Not Available on Handbrake Latest version

Steps to reproduce the problem (If Applicable):

Hello, i am an Offline Users, and Still Using an older Version of HandBrake [HandBrake-0.10.2-i686-Win_GUI] and Today I Downloaded a Latest Version of HandBrake and I Can't Found HE-AAC Audio in Audio Menu, Mostly I Ripped a Videos For Small Mobile Phones in Low Bitrate and HE-AAC (32 kbps) id Fine With Small Mobile Phones, So I Still Using Older Version Due to HE-AAC

HandBrake version (e.g., 1.0.0):
Older Version : HandBrake-0.10.2-i68
New Version : Latest HandBrake-1.2.2-x86_64-Win_GUI

Operating system and version (e.g., Ubuntu 16.04 LTS, macOS 10.13 High Sierra, Windows 10 Creators Update):

Windows 10 Pro

HandBrake Activity Log ***required*** (see How-to get an activity log)

Code: Select all

::
Woodstock
Veteran User

Re: HE-AAC Audio Missing on Latest Version

Post by Woodstock »

If you want HE-AAC, you will need to compile handbrake yourself; the encoder needed to do it does not allow binary distribution under the licensing handbrake uses.
andrewk89
Novice

Post by andrewk89 »

I've done this a couple of times with instructions from here and here. Have HE-AAC with 1.2.2.

Dual boot is going to be your fastest option.

Other ways are VirtualBox or Windows Subsystem for Linux if you have Winders 10. Both are mind-numbingly slow (e.g. "20 minutes" = 2 hours show). Under VirtualBox, I only allocated 3GB and 2 processors. Came within a couple of MB of filling up the 20 GB virtual HDD, but finished. Seemed to be swapping a lot. Maybe faster with more VM resources, but haven't tried. Kind of wonky getting the .dll out of the virtual machine. Under WSL, Linux I/O is REALLY SLOW. Kind of wonky finding the .dll on your hard drive. Google is your friend.

You need to know a little about Linux (and VirtualBox) to use the dual boot or VirtualBox methods. I think a noob can do this on WSL with minimal Googling.
Daringbaaz

Post by Daringbaaz »

Thanks For Replaying,
andrewk89, as a Normal User I Can't Make a GUI or Install VM With Linux ( I Don't Want) Due to Slow Speed and My Pc Can't Handle,

Is There Any one Who Can Build A GUI For Me For Windows,
i am Noob and 0% Knowledge About Coding..

For Now, I Can Re-install Older Version..

Thanks to Whole Handbrake Family,
Woodstock
Veteran User

Post by Woodstock »

If you think your PC is too slow to run compile handbrake, how come you're happy with the speed of RUNNING handbrake? :)

The most recent version of handbrake that had the needed encoder compiled in was 0.10.3; the 0.10.2 version you have is missing a few fixes that were in 0.10.3. The binary versions for 0.10.3 and older were removed from the downloads because of the license issue.
s55
HandBrake Team

Post by s55 »

It's not a case of people sending you a copy. They can't. Distributing it is a breach of license which would then be revoked.
pitcher

Post by pitcher »

Is there any method of compiling on Windows (i.e. without needing Linux)?
mduell
Veteran User

Post by mduell »

You can use WSL, idk if you count that.
pitcher

Post by pitcher »

Yes that counts...

However, I have just noticed I actually have "fdkaac.exe" and "fdkaac.dll" available already on my computer.

Can I take either of these (that I already have existing) and follow the Windows steps to add to Handbrake?
BradleyS

Post by BradleyS »

No, HandBrake has no faac/faad support.
pitcher

Post by pitcher »

fdkaac.exe / fdkaac.dll is HE-AAC?

In Handbrake 0.10.3 (the last version with FDK available) it shows HE-AAC (FDK) in the list of audio options - is this not fdkaac.exe / fdkaac.dll ?
s55
HandBrake Team

Post by s55 »

Same encoder, but it didn't use fdkaac.exe or fdkaac.dll

It was statically linked into HandBrake. It's never been an externally called library.

In short, There is no easy way around this. You must compile from source if you want this functionality in a new version but note, you'd be using an unsupported build that's not formally tested.
pitcher

Post by pitcher »

Probably a crazy sounding question, but can it be compiled on a Mac rather than Linux?
mduell
Veteran User

Post by mduell »

Probably yea, but not what the developers do/support/make instructions available for.
NickF123

Post by NickF123 »

andrewk89 wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2019 4:19 pm I've done this a couple of times with instructions from here and here. Have HE-AAC with 1.2.2.

Dual boot is going to be your fastest option.

Other ways are VirtualBox or Windows Subsystem for Linux if you have Winders 10. Both are mind-numbingly slow (e.g. "20 minutes" = 2 hours show). Under VirtualBox, I only allocated 3GB and 2 processors. Came within a couple of MB of filling up the 20 GB virtual HDD, but finished. Seemed to be swapping a lot. Maybe faster with more VM resources, but haven't tried. Kind of wonky getting the .dll out of the virtual machine. Under WSL, Linux I/O is REALLY SLOW. Kind of wonky finding the .dll on your hard drive. Google is your friend.

You need to know a little about Linux (and VirtualBox) to use the dual boot or VirtualBox methods. I think a noob can do this on WSL with minimal Googling.
Took me 7 minutes to compile handbrake with Ubuntu being virtualized on VMware Player and Ryzen 2600x, that was with VWmare set to allow 12 processors (6 cores with hyperthreading).
andrewk89
Novice

Post by andrewk89 »

NickF123 wrote: Wed May 22, 2019 7:36 pm Ryzen 2600x ... set to allow 12 processors (6 cores with hyperthreading).
Some of us are running older hardware (e.g. six year old Core i5, 8GB RAM) where resources are more constrained.
Deleted User 11865

Post by Deleted User 11865 »

You can also install MinGW-w64 under Cygwin (I'm sure there's a way to install MinGW and the MinGW versions of the HandBrake build dependencies directly, but I find Cygwin's package manager works rather conveniently, even though the interface is perhaps a bit clunky).

Building HandBrake from scratch takes about an hour (IIRC), but it's not like you have to do a full rebuild every other day…

Avoids having to start a VM if you don't like it, and there's no Linux subsystem for Windows 8 or earlier.

If you don't mind setting up a Linux VM, I recall HandBrake building in less than half an hour (Fedora, 2 cores of a Haswell i5, 3 GB of RAM allocated).