Blu Ray Subtitles

HandBrake for Windows support
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
samuelhowens

Blu Ray Subtitles

Post by samuelhowens »

Description of problem or question:
Subtitles do not encode when using Blu Ray images or Blu Ray discs

Steps to reproduce the problem (If Applicable):
Select a Blu Ray image, or a Blu Ray disc, select desired tracks, use Auto Language selections, or just manually select the subtitles desired ( Foreign Language Scan, or English, Close Captioning, etc )
It's worth noting that I can encode DVD image or discs with subtitles just fine, using the same steps above. I used to do this all the time, not sure when this changed, but the last time I encoded anything was 6 or 7 months ago, so could have been version 1.0.7, before updating to 1.2+
When I do encode, the only available subtitle is English, as expected, but when I turn it on, all I get is "chapter 1", "chapter 2", etc etc, so some how it's pulling the chapter numbers from the Blu RAY instead of the actual subtitle text, closed captioning, or Foreign Audio Scan

HandBrake version (e.g., 1.0.0):
1.2.2 (2019022300)

Operating system and version (e.g., Ubuntu 16.04 LTS, macOS 10.13 High Sierra, Windows 10 Creators Update):

Windows 10 Pro, x64, Build 1809

HandBrake Activity Log ***required*** (see How-to get an activity log)

https://pastebin.com/QXs51m0H
Woodstock
Veteran User

Re: Blu Ray Subtitles

Post by Woodstock »

[01:03:35] Subtitle track 0 (id 0x1200) 'English [PGS]': 1339 hits (0 forced)
[01:03:35] Subtitle track 1 (id 0x1201) 'English [PGS]': 1487 hits (0 forced)
[01:03:35] Subtitle track 5 (id 0x1207) 'English [PGS]': 37 hits (37 forced)
[01:03:35] Found a subtitle candidate with id 0x1207 (contains forced subs)
[01:03:35] starting job
[01:03:35] Subtitle pass-thru requested and input track is not compatible with container. One track already burned, dropping track 1.
Use an output container that is compatible with PGS subtitles (such as MKV) and you'll get more than just the forced subtitles in track 5.

Your player is displaying the "chapter track" as subtitles; MP4 does not support a true chapter track, like MKV, so a pseudo-subtitle track is used as a work-around that many (but not all) players support.
samuelhowens

Post by samuelhowens »

Ahh.....now that makes sense, thank you! Now to see if Plex will actually play those MKV.......
Woodstock
Veteran User

Post by Woodstock »

Plex should have no issue with MKV.