Selecting H.265 changes automatically the Encoder Presert to Fast

HandBrake for Windows support
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
Bigo2
Novice

Selecting H.265 changes automatically the Encoder Presert to Fast

Post by Bigo2 »

Description of problem or question:
Hi, often I'm using some Average Bitrate, 2-Pass encoding, Turbo first pass, Encoder Preset Slow. It's my usual Preset for H.264 I'm using for ages and there is nothing unusual there. Now I'm starting with H.265, with some encouraging results, looking everywhere for other people's experience.
There is one thing which I would like to ask you about. My H.264 preset uses Encoder Preset Slow, when I try to change the Video Codec from H.264 to H.265, keeping everything else, the Encoder Preset jumps automatically to Fast setting.
What does it mean? Is it deliberately implemented there for some reason?

Steps to reproduce the problem (If Applicable):
as described above

HandBrake version (e.g., 1.0.0):
Nightly 20171203093848-8e2a082-master (2017120401) - 64bit

Operating system and version (e.g., Ubuntu 16.04 LTS, macOS 10.13 High Sierra, Windows 10 Creators Update):
Windows 7

HandBrake Activity Log ***required*** (see How-to get an activity log)

Code: Select all

Please replace this text with the contents of your log file between the two code tags - OR -  provide a pastebin URL in place of these 3 lines.
mduell
Veteran User

Re: Selecting H.265 changes automatically the Encoder Presert to Fast

Post by mduell »

x265 is pretty slow compared to x264.

You can pick whichever encoder preset you want and save it in a HB preset.
Bigo2
Novice

Post by Bigo2 »

Thanks mduell, I understand what you mean.
However, I'm asking about this feature: when I select the H.265 the Encoder Preset goes to Fast setting. WHY?
rollin_eng
Veteran User

Post by rollin_eng »

I would guess it’s just the default for that encoder.
JohnAStebbins
HandBrake Team

Post by JohnAStebbins »

The encoder presets are not equivalent between different encoders even though they may have the same names. Whenever you change the encoder, the GUI is going to select a default encoder preset since the old preset name may not even exist in the new encoder. It seems the windows GUI chose to use fast as the default for x265. The linux GUI always chooses the middle preset, whatever it is.
Bigo2
Novice

Post by Bigo2 »

OK guys. Thank you for your partial explanation. Still, can anybody explain to me:
There are the followings encoder presets: Ultrafast, Superfast, Veryfast, Faster, Fast, Medium, Slow, Slower, VerySlow and Placebo.
There must have been some reason to set the Fast as the default. WHAT was the reason?
Is it the recommendation? Some sources recommend the Medium, shouldn't we rather use the Fast for common conversions?
JohnAStebbins
HandBrake Team

Post by JohnAStebbins »

Hopefully the windows GUI developer will chime in. But it could have just been a random selection. There may be no *good* reason. Linux GUI's selection of the "middle" preset is also a fairly random selection.
Bigo2
Novice

Post by Bigo2 »

Thank JohnASteebins - I would love if somebody said, yes, use the Fast because... :)
I have quite good results with the Fast setting, but how can I be sure?
There is one more question I was going to ask concerning the converting result :
How to find if the setting I used is OK as compared with the original video? It's quite subjective, I know, but how to do it? Taking the pictures and compare - view them side by side? What is the best recommendation how to do it?
mduell
Veteran User

Post by mduell »

Bigo2 wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2019 10:21 pmSome sources recommend the Medium, shouldn't we rather use the Fast for common conversions?
[[Weasel words]]
Who is making this claim and why do you consider them to be authoritative on common conversions?
Bigo2 wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2019 2:00 amI have quite good results with the Fast setting, but how can I be sure?
There is one more question I was going to ask concerning the converting result :
How to find if the setting I used is OK as compared with the original video? It's quite subjective, I know, but how to do it? Taking the pictures and compare - view them side by side? What is the best recommendation how to do it?
Watch the videos back to back or side by side.

The encoder preset isn't the primary influencer of quality, the quality target is. The best practice is to set the encoder preset as slow as you can tolerate the speed of, and then the RF as high as you can tolerate the quality of.
BradleyS

Post by BradleyS »

I recently wrote this article to help answer some questions that happen to be found in this thread: https://handbrake.fr/docs/en/latest/tec ... mance.html
video.baba
Novice

Post by video.baba »

BradleyS wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2019 6:42 am I recently wrote this article to help answer some questions that happen to be found in this thread: https://handbrake.fr/docs/en/latest/tec ... mance.html
I used to write things like this 'back in the day'. I know it can be quite time-consuming. Your article will be of great help to many.
Great addition to the documentation.
Bigo2
Novice

Post by Bigo2 »

mduell The Medium preset was mentioned for example here : https://www.winxdvd.com/resource/best-h ... -guide.htm
I tested it with the same setting as the Fast. It probably would be better than Fast, but it also takes longer time... I'm going to decide when I find the difference in quality is acceptable. And your article BradleyS is exactly what I'm looking for.
Thank you guys, I think I'm on the right track.

For your information I tried the following settings:
Source video 3.4GB, 1080p, 16:9, H.264, bitrate video 10.8 Mb/s, audio 640 kb/s. Length 42:30 min. Picture looks very good.
1st. H.265 conversion try: Fast. Avg bitrate 1500 kb/s, 2-pass Encoding - Turbo first pass, audio Passthru. Conversion took 1:30 h - resulting size 668.6 Mb, 445 Mib video, audio 195 MiB
2nd H.265 conversion try: Fast. Avg bitrate 2000 kb/s, 2-pass Encoding - Turbo first pass, audio Passthru. Conversion took 1:40 h - resulting size 824.5 Mb, 774 MiB video, audio 195 MiB
3rd. H.265 conversion try: Medium, Avg bitrate 1500 kb/s, 2-pass Encoding - Turbo first pass, audio Passthru. Conversion took 2:0 h - resulting size 668.6 Mb, 445 Mib video, audio 195 kiB
4th. H.265 conversion try: Medium, CQ24. Conversion took 1:12 h - resulting size 594.4 MB, video 374 MiB video, audio 195 kiB, BitRate 1229 kb/s
For all tries I used the Framerate same as source (23.976) and Constant framerate. Other settings are common for H.264 conversion.

I was using my new PC I put together as a HTPC:
Processor AMD Ryzen 5 2400G with Radeon Vega Graphics, 3600 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 8 Logical Processor(s)
Base Board Manufacturer: Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd.
Base Board Product: B450M DS3H-CF
Installed Physical Memory (RAM): 16.0 GB - the memory is not yet adjusted for the best. It should do 3200 Mhz.
No graphic card.
Windows 10 - I would rather not use it, but it is difficult to implement the Windows 7 with Ryzen processors...
I'm very happy with this PC, during the conversion when the processor loading is almost 100%, my simple, cheap, quiet Noctua CPU cooler is only about 35deg C which is less than the temperature of your skin...
BradleyS

Post by BradleyS »

Thanks for the kind words.
mduell
Veteran User

Post by mduell »

Bigo2 wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2019 8:28 ammduell The Medium preset was mentioned for example here : https://www.winxdvd.com/resource/best-h ... -guide.htm
Spam site - garbage.

Look for something like doom9/10, actual experts.