[solved] Handbrake won't start anymore

HandBrake for Windows support
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
PixlViz

[solved] Handbrake won't start anymore

Post by PixlViz »

Description of problem or question:
Having used Handbrake for years, including on my current system up to 1.2.0, from ca. March 15th it wouldn't start anymore.
Tried reinstalling, removing and installing 1.2.2, various compatibility settings, nothing works so far.
No application window or error message or dialogue for Handbrake shows up on the screen.

I have an older version of Handbrake on another computer, runs fine there. Same older version won't run on my primary computer.

Steps to reproduce the problem (If Applicable):
Trying to start HB from the Windows menu, or direct in the folder, opens up an instance of handbrake.exe in the process list.
(Task manager - details tab)
It stays there for about 2 seconds, then goes away.

HandBrake version (e.g., 1.0.0):
1.2.0 when this started, installed 1.2.2, same issue.

Operating system and version (e.g., Ubuntu 16.04 LTS, macOS 10.13 High Sierra, Windows 10 Creators Update):
Windows 10, all updates as of March 20.

HandBrake Activity Log ***required*** (see How-to get an activity log)
I can not find an activity log in the location indicated: "C:\Users\Username\AppData\Roaming\HandBrake\logs on Windows 7, 8, and 10"
Yes, I did remember to replace "username" with my name. There wasn't even a logs folder there so I made one, but after several attempts nothing was written there.
I suspect there may possibly be an issue with folder access or permissions for Handbrake, or maybe it doesn't get as far as posting anything to a log. I'm unsure how to troubleshoot this.

Code: Select all

Please replace this text with the contents of your log file between the two code tags - OR -  provide a pastebin URL in place of these 3 lines.
Last edited by PixlViz on Sun Mar 24, 2019 2:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Woodstock
Veteran User

Re: Handbrake won't start anymore

Post by Woodstock »

If handbrake is actually crashing and being closed by Windows, there should be an entry in your Event viewer about it. What does it say?
PixlViz

Post by PixlViz »

From the event viewer:

Code: Select all

Log Name:      Application
Source:        Application Error
Date:          20/03/2019 20:05:03
Event ID:      1000
Task Category: (100)
Level:         Error
Keywords:      Classic
User:          N/A
Computer:      Workstation001
Description:
Faulting application name: HandBrake.exe, version: 1.2.2.0, time stamp: 0x5c7180e9
Faulting module name: unknown, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x00000000
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x00007ffefffffffe
Faulting process ID: 0x1c58
Faulting application start time: 0x01d4df4fd243119d
Faulting application path: C:\Apps\Multimedia\Video\HandBrake\HandBrake.exe
Faulting module path: unknown
Report ID: 3667316e-07ee-45e6-b68a-692ae6ca5842
Faulting package full name: 
Faulting package-relative application ID: 
Note: The installation path is custom, I know.
Have worked in that path for years until last week. Installing in standard path (c:\program files\) tested, did not solve the issue.

Also: The error noted above occurred for the first time on the 16th, which is when the latest update for .NET (KB4486553 Cumulative update for .NET Framework 3.5 and 4.7.2 for Windows 10, version 1809 and Windows Server 2019) was installed.
If I recall, somewhere in the Handbrake documentation it mentions .NET Framework 4.7.1, so I tried uninstalling this later .NET update, didn't solve the issue and was reinstalled as a recommended update to the system.
PixlViz

Post by PixlViz »

After some more troubleshooting, I found a solution for the problem.
On the 16th of March (when HB stopped working) there was two updates from Windows Update;
- KB4486553 Cumulative update for .NET Framework 3.5 and 4.7.2 for Windows 10, version 1809 and Windows Server 2019
- An intel Corp. display driver dated 11/18/2018 version 25.20.100.6373

Going through system restore in Windows 10 a couple of times, blocking one and then the other, I found that HB still works fine with the .NET update, but if I let the Intel display driver update install HB stops working (as well as some other quirks in the system). So for now I'm keeping that update blocked, working with the existing driver in place.
The update causing issues was blocked using "wushowhide.diagcab" downloaded via https://www.itechtics.com/hide-update-i ... indows-10/

I'm using both a 2080 Ti (primary monitor) and the display adapter from Intel integrated in the CPU (secondary monitor) to keep both cuda and quicksync features available for various applications. I may try installing a future new update of the Intel driver, or try at a later time with a future version of HB, keeping this issue in mind.

Until then, as long as HB keeps running without issues, I consider the problem solved by blocking this Intel driver update from installing.
ghinton

Re: [solved] Handbrake won't start anymore

Post by ghinton »

Thank you so much! I have not been able to use Handbrake since purchasing a new computer several months ago. I just tried disabling the Intel(R) UHD Graphics 630 driver, and Handbrake opened without any issues, so it is obviously a Intel driver issue.
s55
HandBrake Team

Post by s55 »

25.20.100.6373 is known bad. There is a newer version now that seems to resolve the issue.

We've had 3 confirmed reports now for this.
robtperk
New User

Post by robtperk »

I've had problems opening Handbrake for months now. I just discovered this fix and disabled the Intel graphics driver 630, which was a later version than the one listed, and I updated it online but it didn't fix the issue. I still have a NVidia graphics driver which works fine, and Handbrake opens and works fine.