Advanced options

HandBrake for Windows support
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
FlaW313

Advanced options

Post by FlaW313 »

Description of problem or question:

- (FR)
Où sont passé les options avancées dans Handbrake ?
Il semble que ses options ont disparu avec la dernière mise à jour.
Si quelqu'un a une explication ou une solution, ce serait cool.

- (EN)
Where are the advanced options in Handbrake ?
It seems that his options have disappeared with the last update.
If anyone has an explanation or solution, that would be cool.

HandBrake version (e.g., 1.0.0):

Version 1.2.2 (2019022300)

Operating system and version (e.g., Ubuntu 16.04 LTS, macOS 10.13 High Sierra, Windows 10 Creators Update):

Windows 10 - version 1809

HandBrake Activity Log ***required*** (see How-to get an activity log)

Code: Select all

HandBrake 1.2.2 (2019022300)
CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4790K CPU @ 4.00GHz
Ram: 32724 MB, 
GPU Information:
  NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 - 25.21.14.1771
Screen: 1920x1080
Temp Dir: C:\Users\FlaW313\AppData\Local\Temp\
Install Dir: C:\Program Files\HandBrake
Data Dir: C:\Users\FlaW313\AppData\Roaming\HandBrake

-------------------------------------------
mduell
Veteran User

Re: Advanced options

Post by mduell »

The advanced tab has been removed due to the widespread misuse, bad advice regarding it, and lack of positive uses. Users were mostly acting against their own best interest in their "choices" and would be better off using the preset/tune system.

For users that actually understand what they're doing, the box is still available on the video tab for advanced options.
Woodstock
Veteran User

Post by Woodstock »

If someone tells you how to do something using the advanced tab, they're probably referring to a version of handbrake from 5 or more years ago, when the presets were not as good as they are now.
JohnAStebbins
HandBrake Team

Post by JohnAStebbins »

Woodstock wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2019 7:51 pm If someone tells you how to do something using the advanced tab, they're probably referring to a version of handbrake from 5 or more years ago, when the presets were not as good as they are now.
Or even older when the encoder presets didn't even exist yet.
FlaW313

Post by FlaW313 »

- (FR)
@mduell
Donc (si j'ai bien compris), l'interface graphique des options avancées a été supprimé. :'(
Pour moi, ce choix n'est pas judicieux :
- c'était bien plus pratique (et rapide) avec l'interface graphique plutôt que de devoir tout écrire.
- supprimer cette interface pénalise les personnes qui en avait l'utilité.

@Woodstock & JohnAStebbins
- Ma version de Handbrake est à jour puisque j'utilise la vérification automatique des mises à jour (mensuel),
et du fait que j'utilise Handbrake au minimum 4 à 6 fois par mois.
L'utilisation de l'interface graphique des options avancées, est pour moi une longue habitude d'utilisation.

À tous, merci pour vos réponses.

- (EN)
@mduell
So (if I understand correctly), the graphical interface of the advanced options has been removed. :'(
For me, this choice is not wise :
- it was much more convenient (and faster) with the GUI rather than having to write everything.
- remove this interface penalizes the people who had the use.

@Woodstock & JohnAStebbins
- My version of Handbrake is up-to-date since I use the automatic checking of the updates (monthly),
and that I use Handbrake at least 4 to 6 times a month.
The use of the graphical interface of the advanced options, for me is a long habit of use.

To all, thank you for your answers.
Woodstock
Veteran User

Post by Woodstock »

For what purpose do you NEED the Advanced tab? Make the case for bringing it back. "Because I use it sometimes" isn't very persuasive, when compared to the number of issues brought about by its use by people who did not know what they were doing.

The graphic interface contains only a fraction of the items that can be altered using the text box.

It also encouraged people to tweak things they have no understanding about, often because "MasterVideoIdiot on YouTube said this setting would make my game play look more realistic", not because there was a real reason to do it. By having to type in values, you are more likely to have researched their side effects. Additionally, if you have a set of changes that you use regularly, those can be saved as part of a preset.

The presets provided with handbrake have improved remarkably over the years, and cover many more situations that would have required manual tuning. If you check the Extra Options box on the video tab as you change presets, you'll see where presets that require special settings, such as those listed under "Web", include settings that were created by people with direct knowledge of what those options do, and how they affect the output.
FlaW313

Post by FlaW313 »

- (FR)
Il semble que j'ai mal écrit (je ne suis pas un expert dans votre langage).
Je précise : je me suis toujours servi des options avancées.

>"For what purpose do you NEED the Advanced tab?"
- Comme j'ai déjà expliqué, c'est plus pratique et rapide avec l'interface graphique plutôt que de devoir tout écrire (pour les options que j'utilise le plus souvent).
- Oui, je sais que l'interface graphique ne contient qu'une petite fraction des éléments pouvant être modifiés, à l'aide de la zone de texte.
- Les "MasterVideoIdiots"? Je ne sais pas de quoi vous parlez, je ne regarde pas de tutoriels.

Cela fait plus de 15 ans que je fais du "traitement" de vidéo/musique/image... et je n'ai jamais eu de problème.
Je pense donc ne pas avoir besoin de tutoriels; pour le moment.

- (EN)
It seems that I have written badly (I am not an expert in your language).
I specify : I have always used advanced options.

> "For what purpose do you NEED the Advanced tab?"
- As I already explained, it's more convenient and fast with the GUI rather than having to write everything (for the options I use most often).
- Yes, I know that the GUI only contains a small fraction of the elements that can be modified, using the text box.
- The "MasterVideoIdiots"? I don't know what you're talking about, I don't look tutorials.

I've been doing video / music / image processing for over 15 years and I've never had a problem.
So I think I don't need tutorials; for the time being.
mduell
Veteran User

Post by mduell »

What advanced options were you specifying for what purpose?

The probability that whatever you're doing makes more sense than using the encoder preset/tune system is very low. Which is why the advanced tab is gone, it was just luring people into making changes they didn't really understand.
FlaW313

Post by FlaW313 »

Bon... Cette discussion n'avance pas, et je ne vois pas en quoi il est important quelles options j'utilise.
Que cela vous plaise ou pas, je préfère utiliser l'interface graphique des options avancées.

> "The probability that whatever you're doing makes more sense than using the encoder preset/tune system is very low. Which is why the advanced tab is gone, it was just luring people into making changes they didn't really understand."
- Vous ne savez ce que je fais, alors ne jugez pas.
Aussi, je sais très bien ce que je fais avec Handbrake, et cela, depuis des années.

Je pensais que cette communauté était utile, je me suis visiblement trompé puisque j'ai l'impression de parler à des perroquets (ou des robots).
J'utiliserais donc un autre programme à partir de maintenant.

Cordialement.
JohnAStebbins
HandBrake Team

Post by JohnAStebbins »

Very few of us speak French. Official language of the forums is English.