Why can't I choose an MPLS file as the input (as opposed to selecting the entire BD folder?)

HandBrake for Windows support
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
spongemike

Why can't I choose an MPLS file as the input (as opposed to selecting the entire BD folder?)

Post by spongemike »

Description of problem or question:
I can re-encode the video of a BD by choosing "Open source: Folder (batch scan)", which searches ALL of the titles and playlists. This takes a LONG time (minutes), even when I know precisely the playlist (i.e., MPLS) file that contains the content I wish to re-encode. When I try to open ("Open source: File") just the MPLS, though, it says "No valid source or titles found".

Why can't I just open the MPLS directly, rather than wait for it to scan ALL of them, just so that I can choose the one that I want?

Steps to reproduce the problem (If Applicable):
  • Open Handbrake
  • Choose "Open Source"
  • Choose "Folder (Batch Scan)", and select the root folder of a BD
  • Wait for it to process
  • Open Handbrake
  • Choose "Open Source"
  • Choose "File", and select a single MPLS in the BD file structure
  • See the error "No valid source or titles found"

HandBrake version (e.g., 1.0.0):

1.1.2 (2018090500) - 64bit, Windows

Operating system and version (e.g., Ubuntu 16.04 LTS, macOS 10.13 High Sierra, Windows 10 Creators Update):

Windows 8.1 Pro with Media Center, 9600.19228.amd64fre.winblue_ltsb.181208-0600

HandBrake Activity Log ***required*** (see How-to get an activity log)

https://1drv.ms/u/s!Amk1u53rmkI0h6Z7QP9nmBERpInQ8A
Deleted User 11865

Re: Why can't I choose an MPLS file as the input (as opposed to selecting the entire BD folder?)

Post by Deleted User 11865 »

You want to choose the non-batch open folder for BD structures. Note that any playlist shorter than the "minimum title length" (configurable in settings) will be skipped, which saves a good amount of time (but still slower than playlist-specific scan). You might want to adjust that on a source by source basis to speed things up.

Also, HandBrake can do title-specific scan; however, unfortunately there is no direct correspondence between the HandBrake title number and Blu-ray playlist number (unlike we do for DVDs). This has been on my to-do list for a long time but I basically haven't been to work on HandBrake for well over a year.
spongemike

Re: Why can't I choose an MPLS file as the input (as opposed to selecting the entire BD folder?)

Post by spongemike »

Thanks for the response.

Where do I find the "non-batch open folder" option? The only two "Open Source" options are: "Folder (batch scan)" and "File". The latter won't open a single MPLS, and the former scans ALL of the titles, which is the nature of the issue. Where is the non-batch option for a folder such that it doesn't need to scan all the titles and lets me choose one title to scan?

>...there is no direct correspondence between the HandBrake title number and Blu-ray playlist number...

What do the Handbrake title numbers represent? I presume you're still getting the titles from the MPLS files (otherwise, how would you know which M2TS files to string together), right?

Thanks again.
Deleted User 11865

Post by Deleted User 11865 »

Titles correspond to the scanned MPLS files, but IIRC start at 1 for the first playlist (regardless of whether it's actually called 00001.mpls or not) and increments for each MPLS, not accounting for absent playlist files, etc.
spongemike

Post by spongemike »

When do you sleep? ;-)

So then, it sounds like you're saying that there's no way to avoid the scanning of all titles when trying to encode a single title from a BD layout, right?

If so, bummer. Have you got it spec'ed out how you want to do it? Maybe I should enlist in the project and contribute... :-)