Handbrake and NVenc - best preconfigured settings

HandBrake for Windows support
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
grundigtom

Handbrake and NVenc - best preconfigured settings

Post by grundigtom » Sat Dec 29, 2018 11:57 am

Dear Handbrake team,

thank you very much for including NVenc encoding into the program. You have added the following configurations when using NVenc:

- High quality
- High performance
- Fast
- Medium
- Slow

If I want to get the best out of these settings, which do I have to choose? High quality, Slow, Default? I have not played around with the manual options yet.

Thank you very much and have a nice weekend.

Tom

mduell
Veteran User

Re: Handbrake and NVenc - best preconfigured settings

Post by mduell » Sat Dec 29, 2018 5:52 pm

What's best to you?

For some people it's speed, for some people it's quality for size.

Regardless of what you choose, it's pretty fast and pretty [Censored] (poor quality for size).

grundigtom

Post by grundigtom » Sun Dec 30, 2018 1:29 pm

Dear mduell,

thank you for your answer although it does not help me at all. The settings
- High Quality
- Slow
were preconfigured for a better quality out of the available settings. I guess all three settings have differetn settings I don't know. I just want to have a short explanation of the differences and the priority of these settings.

Thank you very much.

Tom

s55
HandBrake Team

Post by s55 » Sun Dec 30, 2018 1:57 pm

Unfortunately, there is no available information on this. It's essentially a black box and will probably vary with hardware and driver version. So testing is the only option.

mduell
Veteran User

Post by mduell » Sun Dec 30, 2018 9:17 pm

grundigtom wrote:
Sun Dec 30, 2018 1:29 pm
were preconfigured for a better quality out of the available settings. I guess all three settings have differetn settings I don't know. I just want to have a short explanation of the differences and the priority of these settings.
You should try them and observe the results.

bionaire

Post by bionaire » Tue Jan 15, 2019 12:27 am

I have the latest Nvidia Drivers and a GTX 950. For me, there's no difference in quality and file size for Medium, Slow and High Quality. Default gives me a slightly lower bitrate. I can't tell if it's any better or worse. I didn't try out Fast. I think it's the same as High Performance.

I noticed the QP Constant Quality at 22 produces larger file sizes than CRF 22. So I experimented and decided that QP 26 looks pretty good and gives me a file size that's close to CRF 22 and the quality is good enough that I can't really tell any significant decrease in quality unless I pause both videos and compare them.

Overall, I'm very pleased with Handbrake including this NVEnc feature. It's a real time saver.