Unable to open 64-bit versions of Handbrake in Windows 10

HandBrake for Windows support
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
ghinton

Unable to open 64-bit versions of Handbrake in Windows 10

Post by ghinton »

Description of problem or question:
Handbrake in 64-bit versions will not open.

Steps to reproduce the problem (If Applicable):
Version 1.0.7 opens fine.

HandBrake version (e.g., 1.0.0):
Any 64-bit version

Operating system and version (e.g., Ubuntu 16.04 LTS, macOS 10.13 High Sierra, Windows 10 Creators Update):
Windows 10 Home Version 1809 OS build 17763.195

HandBrake Activity Log ***required*** (see How-to get an activity log)

Code: Select all

Please replace this text with the contents of your log file between the two code tags - OR -  provide a pastebin URL in place of these 3 lines.

I recently purchased a new computer and since doing so have not been able to run Handbrake in a 64-bit version. I tested running version 1.0.7 and it opens fine. If I try anything in 64-bit, it will not open. I have the Intel Core i7-8086k processor. It's a special edition processor, so I'm not sure if it is not being recognized as a 64-bit processor or not. I discovered it to be an issue with the 64 bit version because a similar type program did the same thing when attempting to run in 64-bit mode.
Woodstock
Veteran User

Re: Unable to open 64-bit versions of Handbrake in Windows 10

Post by Woodstock »

If your Windows is 64-bit, it should be fine. If it's a 32-bit version of Win10, though, it won't open 64-bit programs.

Are there any Event Viewer events that match up with the failure to open?
ghinton

Post by ghinton »

I posted them in the thread viewtopic.php?f=11&t=38362&p=180976#p180976 awhile back, but no one ever responded.
s55
HandBrake Team

Post by s55 »

The errors you got are not a HandBrake crash. It's a system level crash.

Sounds like you have a pretty serious error happening in Windows. Whether that;s corrupted drivers, software breaking windows via the shell API or some other problem, it's impossible to say. Unfortunately that's something we can't help you with if the suggestions in that thread don't help.
ghinton

Post by ghinton »

After opening in safe mode it worked fine, so obviously it is most likely a driver conflicting. I have updated all drivers to the latest available, but it still will crash when running in normal windows mode. Any suggestions on how to easily find out what it may be?
s55
HandBrake Team

Post by s55 »

Not necessarily driver, but other software. Kill everything that's open, everything in the task tray and see if that helps.
ghinton

Post by ghinton »

I have discovered from this thread that the issue is due to Intel drivers. If you have a newer system and it crashes immediately upon loading, if you disable the Intel driver, then Handbrake will run without any issues.