Blue Screen when the program reaches 100%

HandBrake for Windows support
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
helfm

Blue Screen when the program reaches 100%

Post by helfm »

Description of problem or question:

Dear Handbrake Team,

I have been an enthusiastic user of your software for years. Unfortunately I currently have a problem where I suspect in the meantime that it is caused by Handbrake.

I have set up a new computer on which Handbrake causes a Blue Screen when ripping a Blue Ray. This always happens when the process has reached 100% and the program probably wants to write the file to the hard disk. At this point I get a blue screen with the error code: 0x00000a (ntoskernel.exe).

I exclude hardware and driver problems of the system in the meantime, since I have already tested all possible sources of error (RAM, CPU, temperature) according to the exclusion principle. Since I did these tests, and the problem only occurs when using Handbrake, and always in the same place, I assume a problem with Handbrake.

HandBrake version: 1.1.2-x86_64-Win

My hardware: - i think this configuration the problem, because the program works on my old PC
Mainboard: ASUS Prime X299-A
CPU: Intel Core i7-7820X
RAM: G.Skill Trident Z silver/red DIMM Kit 16GB, DDR4-3733, CL17-19-19-39 (F4-3733C17Q-16GTZ)
SSD (operating system): Samsung SSD 970 PRO 512GB, M.2 (MZ-V7P512BW)
Hard disk (data): Western Digital WD Gold 4TB, 3.5", 512n, SATA 6Gb/s (WD4002FYYZ)
Power supply: Enermax MaxTytan 800W ATX 2.4 (EMT800EWT)

HandBrake Activity Log ***required*** (see How-to get an activity log)

Code: Select all

can not provide activity log with relevant information, dependent on blue screen

Best regards

helfm
BradleyS

Re: Blue Screen when the program reaches 100%

Post by BradleyS »

Activity Logs are stored on disk; please see https://handbrake.fr/docs/en/1.1.0/help ... y-log.html

The error you identify is a crash in the Windows kernel, indicating it is beyond HandBrake and likely hardware instability. As for why your other testing hasn't revealed the cause, I cannot say.
Woodstock
Veteran User

Post by Woodstock »

And if you're trying to "rip a bluray" (reading the physical media) with handbrake, handbrake does not do that on its own, so you've added an extra layer of software we know nothing about to the mix.

This is why logs are VERY important. in this case, your system event log for the crashes as well.
s55
HandBrake Team

Post by s55 »

Your blue screen is defiantly a system level problem, not HandBrake. HandBrake is just exposing an underlying issue.
We get this coming up quite frequently. 99% of the time, it's driver, hardware or unstable overclocks. We've even once seen an issue that disappeared with a BIOS update.

You didn't say if you've overclocked or not, but if you have, dial it back. Even "stable" overclocks have a tendency to be unstable with HandBrake. The reason for this is down to the AVX Workload. It's a lot more intensive than traditional compute tasks so is really good at showing up what is actually an unstable overclock. (If you have Multi-Core enhancement turned on, this could also be an issue).

If it's encoding and failing at 100%, then it;s already done a lot of IO, but if it's failing at the end of first pass, then it could well be someone on the IO stack that's problematic but given your setup, seems unlikely.
helfm

Post by helfm »

Dear handbreak team,

Sorry for the late answer. In the meantime I have tested version 1.2.0 of Handbreake. With this version the error does not occur any more. Whether it is this version now, or any driver that has been updated automatically, I can't tell. In any case, the blue screen does not appear any more. Thank you very much for your support.
Wish the whole team a happy new year 2019.

BR helfm