Just a question about predetermined size in V1.1.2

HandBrake for Windows support
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
TTL

Just a question about predetermined size in V1.1.2

Post by TTL »

Description of problem or question:
How can I set a predetermined size in the version 1.1.2 like I can in V9.5. I don't want to guess what size the finished file will be and hope it is what I desire.

Steps to reproduce the problem (If Applicable):

HandBrake version (e.g., 1.0.0): 1.1.2

Operating system and version (e.g., Ubuntu 16.04 LTS, macOS 10.13 High Sierra, Windows 10 Creators Update):

Windows 7
BradleyS

Re: Just a question about predetermined size in V1.1.2

Post by BradleyS »

You can use average bit rate, 2-pass encoding and use an online bit rate calculator to estimate the final size. Don't forget to include audio bit rate in your calculations.
TTL

Post by TTL »

Thanks for the reply but I will start using Vidcoder which offers that choice so you don't have to spend so much time trying to guess the final size of your encode. The same choice needs to be made available in Handbrake, like in the older versions.
s55
HandBrake Team

Post by s55 »

Vidcoder, like HandBrake of years past, cannot accurately hit the target in many situations. As a results, users complain.
It's also generally considered bad form to do this in the vast majority of situations.

So it really makes no sense to have this feature.

Would encourage you to look into quality based encoding. It's generally the best approach these days.
BradleyS

Post by BradleyS »

Indeed, we didn't remove it "for fun", we removed it because it was inaccurate and unreliable.
JohnAStebbins
HandBrake Team

Post by JohnAStebbins »

BradleyS wrote: Mon Dec 03, 2018 10:23 pm Indeed, we didn't remove it "for fun", we removed it because it was inaccurate and unreliable.
... and often used for the wrong reasons. Target file size is fine if you have a physical media that you plan to put 1 or 2 videos on and space is tight. In this case you can somewhat predictably encode video to fit the available space.

But if you have larger media with looser constraints (like an HDD), using quality based encoding is a far better option. Videos that are simple and easy to encode will use less space and leave more room available for video that is complex and harder to encode. And quality will be roughly the same for both simple and complex video.