When did Libdvdcss.dll become unusable

HandBrake for Windows support
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
jimt29

When did Libdvdcss.dll become unusable

Post by jimt29 »

Description of problem or question:

Libdvdcss.dll No longer works

Steps to reproduce the problem (If Applicable):

None

HandBrake version (e.g., 1.0.0):

Not applicable

Operating system and version (e.g., Ubuntu 16.04 LTS, macOS 10.13 High Sierra, Windows 10 Creators Update):

Windows 10

I have used Handbrake for many years and got the idea about adding Libdvdcss.dll to copy dvd’s here in the first place.

I have not made a copy since last year but made many hundreds of MP4 files so I can watch movies without needing the DVD’s.

What changed, when and why?

Using Handbrake to add MP4 movies was way better than any other way I have seen offered/suggested here.

People are always going to want a backup on there computer and Handbrake provided an excellent solution to the problem.
Woodstock
Veteran User

Re: When did Libdvdcss.dll become unusable

Post by Woodstock »

Use of 3rd-party libraries for decryption has not been supported since, well, as long as I've been on this forum. In part because it is so fragile and the library isn't part of the handbrake project, so the authors have no control over it. If you want support for it, ask the 3rd party that supplies it.

Use a ripping tool to get the video off of protected media, and use handbrake to process it after that.
mduell
Veteran User

Post by mduell »

jimt29 wrote: Thu Nov 15, 2018 4:57 pmWhat changed, when and why?
The HB project itself lost interest in the encrypted DVD game for legal and technical reasons. Newer structural protections unrelated to CSS became more widespread resulting in libdvdcss not being enough on many disks anyway. And users migrated to Blu-ray which at the time had no similar OSS library.

It hasn't been supported for years.
s55
HandBrake Team

Post by s55 »

Replace years with decade ;)

Officially, support was Dropped in official releases in November 2008, making that 10 years ago now.