System locks when encoding??

HandBrake for Windows support
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
timberflake

System locks when encoding??

Post by timberflake »

Hi guys, I've recently upgraded my system from an i5 4690 with stock cooler to a R5 2600x with a Corsair H80i cooler.

At stock using handbrake works fine, but once I overclock the CPU to 4.2Ghz on all cores (at 1.4v) the problems start, the system locks up after 10-15 minutes. The strange thing is I have no problems with the OC in any other application, and I ran Cinebench and Aida64 for over an hour without issue and the temp didn't get over 58c. However, in handbrake temps are spiking to 72c but sitting at 68/69c which I don't think would be hot enough to lock the system up.

Does anyone have any ideas what I could do to get Handbrake to play nice with the overclock?

I'm running Windows 10 and Handbrake version 1.1.2. I can't post an activity log because when the system locks up only a hard re-boot will resolve the issue.
JohnAStebbins
HandBrake Team

Re: System locks when encoding??

Post by JohnAStebbins »

This isn't a HandBrake problem. Your system is unstable when overclocked. You need to fix that or don't overclock. HandBrake puts much more stress on the system than most other applications and exposes stability issues fairly readily.

Since the temperatures sound sane, I would first look into memory issues when overclocked. But it could also be power or just a motherboard that can't hack it.
s55
HandBrake Team

Post by s55 »

timberflake, This is actually expected. HandBrake uses a CPU heavily, more so than most benchmarks. In particular AVX workloads tend to show an overclock isn't stable. AVX implementations on CPU's tend to be quite power hungry hence your higher temps

Some motherboards may allow you to set the multiplier lower for AVX to allow higher clocks on non-AVX workloads, but given you don't have a K series CPU, chances are you may not be able to overclock as much here, or at all.

Given the voltage your pumping into that thing, I'd say you've lost the silicon lottery. A good chip will do that without any voltage increase but then again, you wouldn't expect to get good silicon on a non K part.
timberflake

Post by timberflake »

s55 wrote: Wed Nov 14, 2018 7:23 pm timberflake, This is actually expected. HandBrake uses a CPU heavily, more so than most benchmarks. In particular AVX workloads tend to show an overclock isn't stable. AVX implementations on CPU's tend to be quite power hungry hence your higher temps

Some motherboards may allow you to set the multiplier lower for AVX to allow higher clocks on non-AVX workloads, but given you don't have a K series CPU, chances are you may not be able to overclock as much here, or at all.

Given the voltage your pumping into that thing, I'd say you've lost the silicon lottery. A good chip will do that without any voltage increase but then again, you wouldn't expect to get good silicon on a non K part.
I'm slightly confused by the comment surrounding having an non K part? Intel make K chips, the K meaning it has an unlocked multiplier, I have an AMD Ryzen chip all of which are unlocked by default.
s55
HandBrake Team

Post by s55 »

Ah, Sorry, I mis-read your initial post. I'm not sure if Ryzen has AVX multiplier options or not, but you may want to check the bios.

Failign that, try backing off to 4.1 or 4.0 and if you can, reduce the voltage a bit. It's on the high side for that chip which will be good part of the heat your seeing.