Defaults vs Custom

HandBrake for Windows support
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
Daniel

Defaults vs Custom

Post by Daniel »

Hi to everyone. First time posting here. :)

I have an old camera, a Lumix point-and-shoot. Got it for an unbelievably low price. It takes decent enough photos and videos considering the sensor size for such camera models. When you video something it's in the .MOV file type. I downloaded 'HandBrake' and converted one video which is 800 plus mbs. from .MOV to MP4 and the file size brought down to around 180 mbs. So far so good.

Re presets, does HandBrake automatically recognize the source and ascribe it in this case the 'Fast 1080p30' preset? Or is that simply a general default? On the specs for this camera the 'videography features' lists the following: 'Resolutions - 1280 x 720 (30 fps), 848 x 480 (30 fps), 640 x 480 (30 fps), 320 x 240 (30 fps)'. Best I can tell, that means that the 'Fast 1080p30' would be the appropriate setting.

But would other presets be better? Needless to say, HandBrake has a large selection of possible formats like different sizes, fps, for vimeo/youtube, and so on. I've already done some conversions into different formats in search of what I think should be the most defined and sharp presentation but one has to look really closely to see any differences. So, the big question for me is if this is a case of HandBrake doing only so much as the source allows, or am I better to tinker with bitrates and such either apart or with the defaults?

Lastly, the main thing with me is to try and get the sharpest/defined video possible. Toward that aim I downloaded the Avidemux editor because it provides a sharpening feature. As you can see, I'm wondering if in the HandBrake conversion I'm getting the max in sharpness because of the source's output or if I should sharpen with another program like Avidemux. By the way, tried the Avidemux sharpening but there too the effect is only slightly noticeable. You can crank it higher but you know when you've sharpened a photo and in the edges of things like landscape features, you get that slight, white glow. In detail work on graphics programs I can remove that part with cloning or healing; on a video program I have no idea what one does for such or even if there is something that can be done.

Anyway, I hope I explained the above correctly. I know it'll take time learning HandBrake and other video software but for this current project I just want to get the videos looking the best they can. To my way of thinking, one can only do so much with the source to begin with. Still, I want to make sure I don't overlook a different approach in HandBrake that may be better than the defaults. :)

Thank you for any suggestions/help.

Daniel

HB version 1.1.2
Windows 10
Woodstock
Veteran User

Re: Defaults vs Custom

Post by Woodstock »

Handbrake does not auto-select a preset. Fast 1080p30 just happens to be a good one for most people to start with.

Choice of preset depends more on your target than the source.

"Sharpening" does not make your video better - it simply increases the contrast for edges. Despite what they show on CSI and all the derivative crime lab shows, you really cannot get better resolution out of a recorded video than the original sensor had.
Deleted User 13735

Post by Deleted User 13735 »

. Choice of preset depends more on your target than the source.
+1 :!:
Daniel

Post by Daniel »

Woodstock, thank you for the response.

Yes, I figure it's a case of WYsensorIWYG.

When you say, 'target', you're referring to the particular effect that a preset will have?
rollin_eng
Veteran User

Post by rollin_eng »

The target is what you will be doing with or watching the video on, you should see presets for Apple/Android/YouTube etc.
Daniel

Post by Daniel »

Thanks, rollin_eng.

The videos are going to be on a website piece about some outdoor places. Until I can get a better handle on video conversion and editing I think the youtube/vimeo format might be a reasonable choice.
Woodstock
Veteran User

Post by Woodstock »

Youtube/Vimeo is optimized for what those services want to see as an upload, not for best playback on a particular device. Unless your intention is to shrink the video to make it a more reasonable size for upload, you should ignore those presets for now.

Pick the preset that best matches what you're going to play the video on. Large screen "smart" TVs have different "needs" than a 7" Android tablet or an iPhone 5.
Daniel

Post by Daniel »

Thanks, Woodstock.

There are many presets available in HandBrake and as I mentioned previously there will be a learning curve with it. But right now I need something 'general'. Specifically, it's for a website article. The current article is the next installment of something titled, "A Friend Visits - 2018". It follows, A Friend Visits - 2017 . As you can see it's a link to the website where I have it. Looking at it you'll get the idea of the layout. Access 'ARCHIVE' from the slide menu icon.

Please note that in '2017' there are 3 small videos. Those were made with another camera, a Sony Cyber-shot with 6 MP. Display quality is nothing to particularly write home about but they do the job insofar as at least showing what's what.

The Lumix with 14 MP takes better videos - even with the same sensor size as the Sony Cyber-shot. In fact, I have the screen dimensions set to 960 width as opposed to the 2017 ones which are 640 width. I have also seen the 2017 ones on a phone and they were decent enough.

Anyway, the bottom line here is that I want to quickly convert and edit the videos for the 2018 piece. If there are 'general settings' that can accomplish this then fair enough. Later on if I want I can slowly replace the 2018 videos with maybe more fine-tuned displays. More to the point, I can later on do other projects with some converting and editing know-how already in hand. :)

Deleted User 13735

Post by Deleted User 13735 »

Use the High present.
It was made to order for your purposes.
Daniel

Post by Daniel »

musicvid

You mean the High 'preset'? I don't see anything that says 'present'.

If so, does that mean the, 'Fast 1080p30'?

Thanks
mduell
Veteran User

Post by mduell »

HQ preset appropriate for your source resolution.
BradleyS

Post by BradleyS »

I'm guessing the OP doesn't want surround sound for web use, so my suggestion is to use the default Fast 1080p30 preset and adjust the quality setting as desired. See https://handbrake.fr/docs/en/1.1.0/work ... ality.html
Daniel

Post by Daniel »

Thanks, mduell and BradleyS

The source says 1280x720 30 FPS so I guess either the 'Fast 1080p30' or the 'HQ 1080p30 Surround' would do. I had already done a test with the former which brought the original .MOV file from around 880 MB down to 180 MB. I just did a test with the latter and it brought it down to 339 MB. Comparing both I don't see that much difference in quality.

There again it comes back to the fact that one can do only as much as the camera registers. I think I will make some tests at 720, maybe that'll make for some improvements.
BradleyS

Post by BradleyS »

Fast 720p30 will also work fine. A few minor differences with that preset. Try that and reduce the quality to maybe RF 23 or 24 if you want a smaller file size.
Daniel

Post by Daniel »

Hi

Just thought I'd show some of the results from a first-time user of HandBrake along with the help and suggestions of some of the forum members here.

It's a piece on a website: Sitesetis.com

For a first time and considering it's an older camera I think the results are fairly decent.

If you see it, any further suggestions will be appreciated.

Thank You :)

Daniel
BradleyS

Post by BradleyS »

Videos work fine here, nice job and cool research.

Only further thing I can add is the "Web Optimized" checkbox might help down the road (it moves some information about the video from the end to the front so playback can start sooner). I wouldn't worry about it.