Unable to detect VLC player

HandBrake for Windows support
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
gutmach

Unable to detect VLC player

Post by gutmach »

Description of problem or question:
I just installed Handbrake today (x64 on a Win10 laptop) from the handbrake.fr site using all defaults. When in the process of converting my first video (a .mkv file that I wanted as .mp4), I clicked the Preview button and it raised the error "unable to detect VLC player. Make sure VLC is installed and directory specified in Handbrake options (Tools Menu -> Options -> Picture Tab)". For the pre-populated path, C:\Program Files\VideoLAN\vlc\vlc.exe (BTW, the error message is dated: the path now is Tools menu --> Preferences --> General tab) there is no such file or folder. I cannot find anything called VideoLAN on my computer. There was a checkbox to "show using default player instead", and then the preview played in my computer's default video app. But is VideoLAN needed for any other reason? Does this require a separate install, and if so, from where?

Steps to reproduce the problem (If Applicable):
Click Preview button just before converting full video

HandBrake version (e.g., 1.0.0):

Operating system and version (e.g., Ubuntu 16.04 LTS, macOS 10.13 High Sierra, Windows 10 Creators Update):

HandBrake Activity Log ***required*** (see How-to get an activity log)

Code: Select all

Please replace this text with the contents of your log file between the two code tags - OR -  provide a pastebin URL in place of these 3 lines.
s55
HandBrake Team

Re: Unable to detect VLC player

Post by s55 »

VLC is a very popular media play https://www.videolan.org/ which an awful lot of folks use. If you don't use that, that's fine, use the system-option as it'll use whatever is default on your system.

I'll correct the erroneous message for the next release. Thanks