Handbrake crashes on second pass of rip from disc

HandBrake for Windows support
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
SirBedwyr

Handbrake crashes on second pass of rip from disc

Post by SirBedwyr »

Description of problem or question:
Handbrake repeatedly exits after completing pass one of a rip from disk. This is the second disk in a set of which the first disk successfully ripped and is viewable. I've taken the steps outlined here: https://handbrake.fr/docs/en/1.1.0/help ... ssues.html

I'm not clear how to read the activity log and am not sure whether this is a bad disk; I received it yesterday in an Amazon order.

Further troubleshooting steps welcome.

Steps to reproduce the problem (If Applicable):
n/a

HandBrake version (e.g., 1.0.0):

Operating system and version (e.g., Ubuntu 16.04 LTS, macOS 10.13 High Sierra, Windows 10 Creators Update):
Windows 10, 1803 build.

HandBrake Activity Log ***required*** (see How-to get an activity log)

Code: Select all

https://pastebin.com/v23UakBM
Deleted User 11865

Re: Handbrake crashes on second pass of rip from disc

Post by Deleted User 11865 »

Your Blu-ray disc is disappearing partway through the encode…
SirBedwyr

Post by SirBedwyr »

If it's running through a decoder, is it more likely that it's the disc, the decoder, or my hardware? I looked at the disc for defects and saw the light reflect differently off a single microscopic scratch, but the rest was pristine. I could try discs 3 and 4 of the set to verify.

While playing the disc through Kodi, the player stopped working at different times as if the buffer just ran out.
Deleted User 11865

Post by Deleted User 11865 »

What do you mean by "a decoder", AnyDVD?
SirBedwyr

Post by SirBedwyr »

Yup.
SirBedwyr

Post by SirBedwyr »

Bit of an update. I tried ripping the third disc (Gundam: Origin series) with no luck and decided to work backward a bit. Tried Much Ado About Nothing (1992) which failed. I'll try a disc I've previously successfully ripped (Blues Brothers) and then a regular DVD (High Noon) to see what happens. My hardware antennae are quivering and I've already looked at a couple slot-load internal players on Amazon.

edit: interesting. Blues Brothers fails as well and then also fails in the Kodi player just after the title sequence about five minutes into the film. I'm getting suspicious now.
Woodstock
Veteran User

Post by Woodstock »

Have you tried having AnyDVD write the contents of the disk to the hard drive, then encoding from there?

Sometimes hardware can "time out" during pauses in read, stop, then be too slow starting back up again. The author of MakeMKV has said that he has to send "keep alive" requests when dealing with UHD Blurays, otherwise the drive will stop and not restart if you don't select titles and start the rip fast enough.

Also, you can avoid the FIRST pass by selecting the proper subtitle track in advance, rather than using Foreign Audio Search. In this case, the first English track is the "forced" subtitles, and it will be that way for ALL of that series. No need to search and "waste" an extra pass when you'll have several titles that use the same pattern.
SirBedwyr

Post by SirBedwyr »

Update: I tried using CloneBD, but it seems to be unreliable at decoding or cloning, possibly due to the drive sleeping mid job or something. I went back to Handbrake after installing a new drive and things seem to have settled down. It's not an unlucky disc misprint (across five or six different movies), it was mostly likely the drive slowly failing which I suspected after Blues Brothers could not either be ripped *or* played normally. All is well now.