interleaced output

HandBrake for Windows support
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
multimaxfm

interleaced output

Post by multimaxfm »

Description of problem or question:
How to make Handbrake to produce INTERLEACED videos on output? I don't want to make all videos progressive! Help please!

HandBrake version (e.g., 1.0.0):

Code: Select all

Please replace this text with the contents of your log file between the two code tags - OR -  provide a pastebin URL in place of these 3 lines.
Deleted User 13735

Re: interleaced output

Post by Deleted User 13735 »

Handbrake won't do this, since all delivery is now progressive.
Search older posts for "fake interlace" which may make some decoders happy.
Not to pry, but why on Earth do you want an interlaced product?
multimaxfm

Post by multimaxfm »

Well, i found today how to make it process interlaced video. There is few comands in extra options. For example :tff comand will give interlaced video with top fileds first.

I don't agree with idea to deinterlace video from DVD if it had interlaced format. Its always better to save this mode and deinterlace in realtime. Usually hardware players deinterlace video MUCH better. All software players also have good deinterlacers in realtime. When you save interleaced mode you always can expirement with deintelacers and find better one =) by the way, who knows, maybe some day we will see smth extra new, for example deinterlacer that works on neural network haha, and your video will be decoded properly with new one. If you will deinterlace it you will not try it. So i prefer to save this mode.
BradleyS

Post by BradleyS »

Imagine what can be done in software in slower than realtime.
Woodstock
Veteran User

Post by Woodstock »

I haven't actually seen one of these software players that can deinterlace WELL in real time. Must require faster hardware than I own. And the hardware ones I've tried aren't particularly good at it when they aren't feeding an interlaced display.
Deleted User 13735

Post by Deleted User 13735 »

If you are making compliant DVD, which you cannot do in Handbrake, the specification is interlaced PAL or NTSC. For 24p IVTC, it is flagged as interlaced to ensure player support.

All internet streaming and local delivery is now progressive/deinterlaced for some fairly obvious reasons. but jf you have analog inputs on your crt teevee or player, they are interlaced.

If you want pristine untouched mpeg-2 interlaced from your optical source, VideoRedo has a free trial. It doesn't decrypt, but opens MKV as well.

I am quite pleased with Handbrake's decomb controls , and use it for most things video. So taking care to acknowledge your playback environment is important when stating opinions. Hardware deinterlaced still holds a slight edge, but tests with QTGMC (translation: slower than eternal death) place it close behind.

For DVD movie titles, decode "same as source, cfr," and you will never have to worry about it again.
Take the opening sequence of Avatar and decode in Handbrake 29.97i with decomb, and same as source cfr and you will see what I mean.